What's new

Does WiFi TX Power Setting Sync to AiMesh Nodes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

Does anyone know if the TX Power setting from the WiFi Professional settings page syncs to AiMesh nodes? In other words, if I reduce the TX power from the default full power will the nodes also reduce their power? If not, is there any way to sync these settings via a script?

I will be running a RT-AX86U as the main router with a RT-AX86S node. Both running 386.7_2 Merlin firmware.

Thanks,
Harry

Last edited:
Which routers? Which firmware?

Simply test and see for yourself.

Also, check the AiMesh tab too for possibly more control of the nodes.

Which routers? Which firmware?

Simply test and see for yourself.

Also, check the AiMesh tab too for possibly more control of the nodes.
Sorry, just added those details to the OP. It's gonna be a RT-AX86U for the main router with an RT-AX86S for the node. Both running 386.7_2 Merlin firmware. Don't have the second router yet so can't actually test. Trying to figure out if I should be prepared to script some sort of solution or if this will be a non issue.

Like @L&LD said, what you should be prepared to do is test it. I can't think of a good reason why that setting wouldn't propagate to nodes along with all other wifi settings ... maybe it wouldn't, but you're probably worried over nothing. However, if you don't already have some kind of wifi analyzer app on a laptop or phone, it'd be a good idea to get one so you can check this kind of thing.

I'm not a fan of WiFi apps (they are detrimental on the networks they're connected to), and they usually do not give useful information either.

The power steps are not infinitely variable in Asus routers. Starting with the maximum, simply keep notes about how your main devices respond with the network. Step the power setting down a notch, reboot the router, and after 10 minutes of letting the router settle after the reboot, simply use your devices normally again at the same locations and note their response now. Be sure a few of your testing is 'roaming', if that is how you normally use them too. Continue to decrease the power levels of the radio(s) until you see an overall performance drop, then go back to your notes and choose the setting with the overall best performance.

Note this is the same recommendation as when choosing the proper Control Channel too.

The method above accounts for all aspects of your wireless environment when determining the correct value. Including the effects of WiFi and non-WiFi sources of interference, and also device driver settings too.

Not only do you dial in your network settings faster and directly, but you are spared the data dump (that may seem to be required to analyze) from the app that can be effectively ignored too.

There is no perfect WiFi set up. Pick the options with the least compromises. That usually means you tune the network for maximum responsiveness/minimum latency (and not simply fastest download speed).

The many Asus home router customers and AiMesh installations person doesn't know? I know exactly what is happening - between many router models in AiMesh configuration and between AX86U main and AX86S node in particular. No Wi-Fi analyzer app needed to test if one knows what the router does when changing radio Tx power. @HarryMuscle, does your node reboot as well when the main router reboots after you move the Tx level slider and press Apply? Yes or No? You have the answer to your question. Simple.

Yes, simple.

Simply missed the mark.

I'm not a fan of WiFi apps (they are detrimental on the networks they're connected to), and they usually do not give useful information either.

They're certainly not the be-all and end-all, but they can give useful information.

The power steps are not infinitely variable in Asus routers. Starting with the maximum, simply keep notes about how your main devices respond with the network. Step the power setting down a notch, reboot the router, and after 10 minutes of letting the router settle after the reboot, simply use your devices normally again at the same locations and note their response now.

I think that's a great approach to answering the question "what power level do I need?". But I don't think it's very responsive to the question that was actually asked. If you mess with the power setting on the main router, and that fails to propagate to the node, you would only discover that fact indirectly and after much testing. Any wifi analyzer app would be able to show you directly whether the signal level from the node changes. And only after you know that the knob you are twiddling does what you think it does will it make any sense to experiment with what's the best setting.

There is no perfect WiFi set up. Pick the options with the least compromises. That usually means you tune the network for maximum responsiveness/minimum latency (and not simply fastest download speed).

Agreed there, for sure. People focus way too much on bulk download speed and not enough on latency.

you would only discover that fact indirectly and after much testing.

I can't believe some people say they have experience with AiMesh. One can tell instantly just looking at node's LED lights.

@tgl, you're right. The app would answer the question directly.

I just like to go one step further and actually set it where it needs to be. :)

I can't believe some people say they have experience with AiMesh. One can tell instantly just looking at node's LED lights.
Umm ... you can tell that the node rebooted, but did it absorb the setting you wanted it to?

If I'm asking that kind of question at all, I probably want some independent confirmation of the answer.

This thread is >1 year old. Asuswrt had some updates since then. Perhaps AiMesh was updated as well. You have to test for yourself with your specific devices. It may work with specific routers and may not work with others. Mix and match AiMesh system with different model or generation routers has more quirks in general. Share the results.

Within the last few months I'd toyed with dropping the power level of a mesh node only. It could not be made to work. Setting / committing NVRAM values was ever undone when the node rebooted and then got /completely/ re-setup by the master. Didn't even think to try such a "global" setting on the master. What would be the point of that?

Isn't it lovable when a thread gets left hanging like this?

Isn't it lovable when a thread gets left hanging like this?

Because no one has a definitive answer. Last time I checked with identical routers Tx power in Wireless, Professional was affecting the main router only. Add AiMesh updates and changes, add different models and generations AiMesh "compatible" devices running different firmware in the mix - the result is "test and see what works".

You have 2x XT8 units, no? Let is know what happens on latest Asuswrt firmware. I can test with 2x RT-AC68U variants, have a bunch of RT-AC1900P units available.

I had been trying to assist another forum member keeping his kids' stuff from connecting to a particular node. He was adamantly refusing to run it instead as an AP, so thought reducing its power as a node would accomplish the goal. I don't habitually "Aimesh", but if I get a chance in the near future I may well investigate this with the XT8s, just out of curiosity. Though I fail to see the value in dropping power levels system-wide just to drop that of a node, if it even works. AiMesh might be good if it ever matures sufficiently.

The question is not about how good or bad AiMesh is though. I will probably never have AiMesh in use, but I can test with whatever hardware is available.

Results in few days, need to bring some routers home, flash, reset, etc. I can even do mixed AX main with AC nodes and post what happens. Just need some time.

@banger (3x RT-AC68U in AiMesh)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the TX Power setting from the WiFi Professional settings page syncs to AiMesh nodes?

Results for RT-AC1900P main with RT-AC1900P node in wired or wireless AiMesh:

Tx power change in Wireless, Professional, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios - main router only.

Firmware Asuswrt 386_51668 on both units

------

Results for RT-AX86U main with RT-AC1900P node in wired and wireless AiMesh:

Tx power change in Wireless, Professional, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios - main router only.

Firmware Asuswrt 388_24231 and Asuswrt 386_51688

------

For who doesn't know - RT-AC1900P is an RT-AC68U variant with 1.4GHz CPU

So is there a straight answer to this question?

I would say - NO. Too many AiMesh compatible devices and I don't have routers running 102 firmware to test with.

Last edited:
Results for RT-AC1900P main with RT-AC1900P node in wired or wireless AiMesh:

Interesting. Did you happen to reboot the node while the master was active with reduced power? And how about SSHing into the node, setting and committing the appropriate radio power level NVRAM variables prior to node reboot? I wish I'd had the foresight to change the master's power levels while watching the node /totally/ configure from the master on any boot-up.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!