What's new

DOS protection causing impacting port forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

8uckles

New Around Here
Experienced an odd issue I could use input on. I use some software which requires an open port for the remote access functionality to work, it has worked without issue for several months but recently I ran into an issue. When I checked the port I have open through port forwarding it was showing as closed (used a couple of open port check sites), after some trial and error I found that the DOS protection setting seemed to be the cause of this. With the setting turned on, the port shows closed, as soon as I disable it shows open.

Would there be any reason this is the case? Is this intentional? Happy to provide logs if needed, I am running latest firmware on AX88U

If the port in question is a common one it's possible that it's being hammered by the usual internet bots and DOS protection is just doing its job.

Nope, one I picked at random!

Edit: Does anyone happen to know the specific trigger that would cause DOS protection to kick in? Wondering if there are too many attempts coming in causing it to block the port

Last edited:
Is DOS protection really necessary for a home router anyway? In the rare event you're attacked, you can just change your public IP (I assume it's dynamic). And if someone is targeting you, you should contact your ISP for help. They should already be providing basic DOS protection for their customers. Home-based DOS protection seems both overkill and likely to be ineffective anyway.

Thanks for the command, will try that. You are right its probably not neccessary and I have no issue turning it off, just seems strange its suddenly started happening as I am sure I have had it switched on since day 1.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!