What's new

DoT setup but still seeing traffic on port #53

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why do you have /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf? This overrides the firmware-generated /etc/dnsmasq.conf.

Because I need to add more stuff on top of the default file (Most obvious ones to me right now are)
  1. Enforce MAC to IP Address assignment using dhcp-host entries
  2. Have a couple of server lines for pandora.com to circumvent geo-blocking (server=/pandora.com/<SmartDNS>

Because I need to add more stuff on top of the default file (Most obvious ones to me right now are)
  1. Enforce MAC to IP Address assignment using dhcp-host entries
  2. Have a couple of server lines for pandora.com to circumvent geo-blocking (server=/pandora.com/<SmartDNS>
You could append items to the default dnsmasq.conf by using /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add instead of replacing the entire file. See https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...eplacing-or-appending-content-to-config-files

You're essentially running your own dnsmasq server detached from the firmware configuration. The firmware does not use resolv-file anymore, it uses server-file now to point to /tmp/resolv.dnsmasq.

Last edited:
You could append items to the default dnsmasq.conf by using /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf.add instead of replacing the entire file. See https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...eplacing-or-appending-content-to-config-files

You're essentially running your own dnsmasq server detached from the firmware configuration. The firmware does not use resolv-file anymore, it uses server-file now to point to /tmp/resolv.dnsmasq.

Don't remember now why I went the route of dnsmasq.conf vs the .add file

Interestingly my /etc/dnsmasq.conf file does somehow contain some of my customizations (It has my server lines for pandora.com)!!! Is that normal?

Don't remember now why I went the route of dnsmasq.conf vs the .add file

Interestingly my /etc/dnsmasq.conf file does somehow contain some of my customizations (It has my server lines for pandora.com)!!! Is that normal?
Yes, because it will copy /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf to /etc/dnsmasq.conf before starting dnsmasq.

Last edited:
Yes, because it will copy /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf to /etc/dnsmasq.conf before starting dnsmasq.
So how do I revert back to the original /etc/dnsmasq.conf?

Rename my /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf to a different name and then restart router? Anything available that doesn't require a router restart?

BTW, apologies for not mentioning this earlier but thank you so much to everyone that has been helping me.

So how do I revert back to the original /etc/dnsmasq.conf?

Rename my /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf to a different name and then restart router? Anything available that doesn't require a router restart?

BTW, apologies for not mentioning this earlier but thank you so much to everyone that has been helping me.
My suggestion:
Code:
mv /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf /jffs/configs/olddnsmasq.conf
service restart_dnsmasq
diff /etc/dnsmasq.conf /jffs/configs/olddnsmasq.conf
The last line will show you what might be different between the two and you can selectively add those items to /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add