What's new

Double nat question and odd behavior.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

banz

Regular Contributor
Main router ac68p doing all the dhcp. Second router which I'm using as an access point. I set a static IP and it is hardwired to the main router via the lan port. Second router does not have DHCP enabled.

What is odd is that the main router see two mac address from the second router. They are just one digit off. It assigns 2 IP address to it. Both pingable but only one of them lets you onto the GUI. When I turn off NAT on the second router. I lose the GUI access to the second router and I only see one mac address.

I don't think I'm double NATing because it's all in the same subnet. My clients on the second router all uses the main router as a gateway. Should I leave NAT enabled on the second router(AP) as I do still want to get access to it and reboot it or force it to a different channel.

To double NAT connect a LAN port on the Internet facing router to the WAN port on the second router.

The second router needs to be in a different subnet than the first router.

You have to enable NAT on both routers.

When connected to the second router you will be able to connect to the admin page on the first router.

More details on double NAT attached.

Attachments

• How to double NAT two routers.pdf
    664.1 KB · Views: 241
Apologies for being unclear. I'm not trying to double NAT. In fact, I'm trying to avoid it. Just trying to figure out why I'm seeing the odd behavior. Thanks!

What is odd is that the main router see two mac address from the second router. They are just one digit off. It assigns 2 IP address to it.
Is one the main SSID and one a guest network from the AP?
If you run
Code:
ifconfig -a | grep HWaddr
on the AP does it match, say eth1 and wl0.1, which would be a 2.4Ghz network and guest network.

The AP is just a netgear n450 router and does not have CLI interface. It also shows very little information in the GUI so I don't know which interface the second mac address is coming from. I do know disabling NAT on the second AP removes the second mac address and IP.

If you don't want or need to double NAT then read the article on this site that tells you how to repurpose a router as an AP. It is simplier setup than double NATing but if you don't do it correctly problems will occur.

Apologies for being unclear. I'm not trying to double NAT. In fact, I'm trying to avoid it. Just trying to figure out why I'm seeing the odd behavior. Thanks!

if you don't want double nat disable NAT DHCP and Firewall on second router, and you are set. just a basic access point.

above all make sure you disable the firewall first, so you keep access to the gui.