What's new

Double router VPN connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT636

Occasional Visitor
Wonding if I could get some direction on get vpn set up on my dual router set up. Main router is an ac88u and the second one is ac86u. Both running stock firmware. I would like my ac86u to run as a dedicated vpn router. I use open vpn client side on the 88u with the config file from Express vpn no issues. I have change the config file going to the 86u with the wan address and the Ddns. Still no dice. Tried port forwarding on both devices still wont activate.

You should have no problem running a VPN client on your second router if you have it correctly double NATed behind the first router. If you are going to run VPN clients on the first router you will need to be sure the first router doesn't route the second router through its VPN. This means you will need policy routing on the 88u which only an available feature if you run Merlin's firmware.

I would download a fresh configuration for the AC86 directly from Express. No port forwarding is required on the 88u. Turn the VPN off on the 88u until you get the VPN working on the AC86.

Attachments

• How to double NAT two routers.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 134
Will give that a shot. I want to get away from using the man 88u router as a vpn. That's why I got the 86u for the cpu and better speed. Currently have it connected lan port from 88u to wan port on the 86u. Which is correct right. Be gentle just getting into networking lol.

Port forwarding is irrelevant to OpenVPN client. Port forwarding is only necessary when *YOU* are providing some service to remote users (e.g,, your own OpenVPN server).

Port forwarding is irrelevant to OpenVPN client. Port forwarding is only necessary when *YOU* are providing some service to remote users (e.g,, your own OpenVPN server).
I thought the same thing when I read it in another thread some were.

Will give that a shot. I want to get away from using the man 88u router as a vpn. That's why I got the 86u for the cpu and better speed. Currently have it connected lan port from 88u to wan port on the 86u. Which is correct right. Be gentle just getting into networking lol.

That is correct but read the text file that I attached and be sure you have followed all the key steps. If you have then you need to download a new ovpn file and install it on the AC86. I run Merlin's firmware for my VPN and it is simple. Upload the ovpn file and depending on your VPN add a user name and password. Remember these may be different than the credentials you use to log into your account with your provider.

Could it also because the router is showing an ip adress of the local network as the wan? Or that's not relevant?

Could it also because the router is showing an ip adress of the local network as the wan? Or that's not relevant?
Not relevant.

Now getting this error
The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment.