What's new

Double WAN IPs Why?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jammy456

Occasional Visitor
I've been trying to sort 3rd party DNS servers on my Asus RT-AX88u (whole other thread and debacle) but in messing around and trying to get it to work I seem to have got 2x of everything on my WAN interface. This seems to be when i set the 'Get WAN IP automatically' to no as I thought this may be the reason my custom DNS settings are getting overridden. My ISP provides me with a static IP so it makes sense for me to set my IP address in this box but why does it give me double everything? Is this part of the reason my custom DNS settings are not respected?

Note that if i disconnect the cable from the Asus WAN port one of the entries just goes to 0.0.0.0 while the other keeps the static entry I have in the WAN settings.

2022-01-17 19_36_53-.png

2022-01-17 19_36_15-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - Network Map - Brave.png

I'm guessing because of the following.

Esp. if the IPs are different (can't tell w/ your masking). If the IPs are the same, then perhaps it's a GUI error.
I only have a single static IP with my ISP and I am not trying to configure more than one IP, it simply gives me identical of everything. Both the WAN IP & Default Gateway are identical in the screenshot above.

If I leave the default gateway blank it still connects with the double identical IP

In your case, I'd simply delete your manual stuff and leave it up to your ISP to "assign" you the static IP. Normally, I'm all for hardcoding values, but it seems to be causing you concern, so an easy fix.

In your case, I'd simply delete your manual stuff and leave it up to your ISP to "assign" you the static IP. Normally, I'm all for hardcoding values, but it seems to be causing you concern, so an easy fix.
Still curious why its happening and makes me wonder if it has something to do with me not being able to set my own DNS servers. Or at least the router not respecting my custom DNS values and just fetching my ISPs ones automatically.