What's new

Doubt about Asus WL-ANT-157 Antenna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Received 6 of these antennas today via eBay from SuperPowerSupply (3x for RT-AC68U & 3x for PCE-AC68U).

Holy shirt are they long :D. About thrice as long as the original.

More tests to follow.

I've alteady boght the 3 pieces of the 9db antennas that was recommended here and i also have here and using right now a AmpedWireless extender signal, using the 9db antennas and the extender would not be the best of two worlds? Remembering that the antennas did not arrived yet

Or should i use just one or another?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No one?

The antennas have the advantage of multiplying both the transmitted and received signals. Unless the "wireless extender" also does that, the range is still limited by the signal it receives from the remote client. What is the Amped model number?

If the "wireless extender" sits half-way between the host and client, the antennas will help in BOTH directions and will add to the gain of the extender.

--Dan in St. Louis

If the "wireless extender" sits half-way between the host and client, the antennas will help in BOTH directions and will add to the gain of the extender.

It depends *totally* on how much signal strength the extender needs to transmit at full power. There is no point having an extender that needs a good signal to work so I would expect an extender to operate well with a low received signal strength.

It depends *totally* on how much signal strength the extender needs to transmit at full power.
I respectfully disagree. Most receivers these days have about the same noise figure, so the *location* of the extender will be of more importance. Locating it near the original router will not gain much, if any, range.

And antennas are still the most bang for the buck. They improve both transmitting and receiving range, and cost $10 or less each.

I respectfully disagree. Most receivers these days have about the same noise figure, so the *location* of the extender will be of more importance. Locating it near the original router will not gain much, if any, range.

And antennas are still the most bang for the buck. They improve both transmitting and receiving range, and cost $10 or less each.

So let me see if i got it, the extender + the antennas i've bought will be the perfect solution? Just you to know the antennas did not arrived yet

And the extender is this one:

Amped Wireless SR20000G

The sinal strenght from the main router to the extender is 80% at 5Ghz and 78% at 2.4Ghz

They ask at least 70% of strenght

Thanks

Amped Wireless SR20000G

The sinal strenght from the main router to the extender is 80% at 5Ghz and 78% at 2.4Ghz

They ask at least 70% of strenght

Thanks
If what you say about your extender is true, you will NOT see any benefit.

Locating it near the original router will not gain much, if any, range.
Of course it won't, that is not how they work. Locating it near the router defeats the object of the exercise.

Amped Wireless SR20000G
That "extender" is actually a repeater. It is meant to be placed somewhere near the edge of the existing coverage range and repeat both what is transmitted and what is received to another computer, often portable, that is outside of that range.

If you are already getting 78-80% signal strength you don't really need to extend the range, unless some interference on your channel is limiting bandwidth.

You have 9dB gain antennas on the way, but replacing the 5dB antennas that ship with that Amped repeater will only gain 4dB more -- 2.5 times the effective power, or about 1.6 times the effective range.

Unless the ASUS router also has 5dB antennas you would do better to use your new 9dB models to replace the ones on the ASUS instead -- but again, unless you are experiencing low bandwidth there is no need. To get the best effect, if you decide to leave the repeater in place, put it about half-way between the ASUS router and the remote computer.

--Dan in St. Louis

Of course it won't, that is not how they work. Locating it near the router defeats the object of the exercise.

Which is another way of saying *location* is vital.

It depends not "*totally* on how much signal strength the extender needs" but also locating it so that amount of signal is available from BOTH directions.

--Dan in St. Louis

That "extender" is actually a repeater. It is meant to be placed somewhere near the edge of the existing coverage range and repeat both what is transmitted and what is received to another computer, often portable, that is outside of that range.

If you are already getting 78-80% signal strength you don't really need to extend the range, unless some interference on your channel is limiting bandwidth.

I think that what that poster was saying was that the extender is getting 78-80% signal strength, not that the client(s) for which they got the extender was getting 78-80% signal strength. If the extender is in a place where it gives the intended client device(s) a good signal, and the extender gets a good enough signal to do that, that's pretty much where you want to be.

Personally, I'd try hard to use an AP rather than an extender, since you lose half your wireless bandwidth off the top using an extender or repeater. I would only use an extender if bandwidth didn't matter (like just web surfing, email, and other light use).

Which is another way of saying *location* is vital.
Your other post (#29) explains it so much better and in a much more logical fashion. So much so, I thought it was written by somebody else :D.

I think that what that poster was saying was that the extender is getting 78-80% signal strength, not that the client(s) for which they got the extender was getting 78-80% signal strength. If the extender is in a place where it gives the intended client device(s) a good signal, and the extender gets a good enough signal to do that, that's pretty much where you want to be.

Personally, I'd try hard to use an AP rather than an extender, since you lose half your wireless bandwidth off the top using an extender or repeater. I would only use an extender if bandwidth didn't matter (like just web surfing, email, and other light use).

You got what i meant to say

But now that the antennas will arrive, should it boost the signal? Should i use just the antennas on the main router and disable extender or use both?

Thanks

I think that what that poster was saying was that the extender is getting 78-80% signal strength, not that the client(s) for which they got the extender was getting 78-80% signal strength.
Good chance that you are correct, since clients rarely measure signal strength in percent. Further reading confirms that the "70%" recommendation is in Amped's documents.

If the extender is in a place where it gives the intended client device(s) a good signal, and the extender gets a good enough signal to do that, that's pretty much where you want to be.
We have found that at least two more factors deserve consideration:

1) Interference. From where I sit in a residential neighborhood in the Central West End of St. Louis, I can "see" 67 access points. I have one router on Channel 11 and it gives me a better margin above the noise and interference, even though another router in the same house on Channel 6 delivers a stronger carrier.

2) Data speed. We all know by now that WiFi routers never deliver their advertised speed. What many users do not realize is that the actual speed enjoyed in common usage depends on the signal strength (above noise+interference). You might be able to connect to a router delivering only -80dBm to your client, but the bandwidth will be poor compared to one delivering -60dBm. With an extender halving the data speed this makes fast router-to-extender and extender-to-client links quite important.

All of that considered, wsarahan might do best to put the 9dB antennas on the ASUS router, since its supplied antennas appear to have only 2dB gain and the Amped already has 5dB.

In truth, we don't have enough information about this proposed setup to have any certainty about a "best" configuration. Therefore, the most we can do is try to maximize the signal-to-(noise+interference) ratio everywhere in the loop and hope for the best.

--Dan in St. Louis

You got what i meant to say

But now that the antennas will arrive, should it boost the signal? Should i use just the antennas on the main router and disable extender or use both?

Thanks

Why not try all scenarious and see what works for you? I would get these antennas if I could be sure of a benefit and know what sort of hit I would take when importing them into the UK. I do not know what customs duty would be, but our sales tax is 20%. I do not need both financial and electromagnetic uncertainty LOLZ.

Why not try all scenarious and see what works for you? I would get these antennas if I could be sure of a benefit and know what sort of hit I would take when importing them into the UK. I do not know what customs duty would be, but our sales tax is 20%. I do not need both financial and electromagnetic uncertainty LOLZ.

Already bought at eBay the antennas, but everything takes too long to arrive to Brasil when you use normal post office and not some courrier service like. Fedex or DHL

Good chance that you are correct, since clients rarely measure signal strength in percent. Further reading confirms that the "70%" recommendation is in Amped's documents.

We have found that at least two more factors deserve consideration:

1) Interference. From where I sit in a residential neighborhood in the Central West End of St. Louis, I can "see" 67 access points. I have one router on Channel 11 and it gives me a better margin above the noise and interference, even though another router in the same house on Channel 6 delivers a stronger carrier.

2) Data speed. We all know by now that WiFi routers never deliver their advertised speed. What many users do not realize is that the actual speed enjoyed in common usage depends on the signal strength (above noise+interference). You might be able to connect to a router delivering only -80dBm to your client, but the bandwidth will be poor compared to one delivering -60dBm. With an extender halving the data speed this makes fast router-to-extender and extender-to-client links quite important.

All of that considered, wsarahan might do best to put the 9dB antennas on the ASUS router, since its supplied antennas appear to have only 2dB gain and the Amped already has 5dB.

In truth, we don't have enough information about this proposed setup to have any certainty about a "best" configuration. Therefore, the most we can do is try to maximize the signal-to-(noise+interference) ratio everywhere in the loop and hope for the best.

--Dan in St. Louis

Thanks man

I'll switch my AC68U antennas to the 9db so, when it arrives i'll let you know if if made some difference :)

Thanks again

Edit: i can't find even at Asus website and especifications of the router how many db's the factory antennas have..

Last edited:
i can't find even at Asus website and especifications of the router how many db's the factory antennas have.
I can't remember where I read that, and a half-hour of searching did not turn up the reference either. "Super Power Supply" does refer to the 2dB model as a "replacement" for the stock ASUS antennas, so that may be where I picked up the idea.

--Dan in St. Louis

I would get these antennas if I could be sure of a benefit and know what sort of hit I would take when importing them into the UK.
I wonder if "Super Power Supply" is also available on eBay-UK? They have a decent reputation, and may have already worked out the customs tax.

They have 2dB (4.5"), 6dB (7.5"), 7dB (11") and 9dB (15") models.

--Dan in St. Louis

Hi Dan,

You are right. *Every* environment is difference and it is impossible to guarantee anything. I am interested in your statement that an extender halves the data speed. Is this for all extenders? I'm not too congested here at all on 2.4. Not using 5 yet as only a few items use it.

I am still a tad tempted to get three of the 9dBi antennas from eBay. Damn Her Majesty's Customs and Excise.

Thanks for your information so far.

DrTeeth