What's new

Doubt about Asus WL-ANT-157 Antenna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wsarahan

Hi guys

I just bought one of the Asus WL-ANT-157 Antenna to use with my RT-AC68U, just bought one and replaced the center default antenna, let me ask you something

Is it worth to buy more two of this one and replace all the stock antenas? The gain or coverage will worth it?

Thanks

seriously not worth it. you won't see any improvement at all. at least thats the case with me

Hi guys

I just bought one of the Asus WL-ANT-157 Antenna to use with my RT-AC68U, just bought one and replaced the center default antenna, let me ask you something

Is it worth to buy more two of this one and replace all the stock antenas? The gain or coverage will worth it?

Thanks

I sadly have no improvement, and I have two of them. I feel like I'm missing something so simple to get them going.

I sadly have no improvement, and I have two of them. I feel like I'm missing something so simple to get them going.

Thanks

Will think twice before get more two of them, mabe just saty with the center one i just bought today and using at my 68U

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have had somewhat better results with 5 GHz after replacing all three stock antennas with the WL-ANT-157. I have the RT-AC68U in a closet and the improvement was pretty small. I only noticed an improvement at all with 5 GHz, 2.4 GHz seems the same or slightly worse if off axis. I also seem to need to turn off all directional beam forming options or wandering around the house causes the 5 GHz wireless to have zero throughput but not drop the connection (fw 3.0.0.4.374.454). With all this I do get better throughput in the garage (on axis, 3 walls, 50? feet), anecdotally, streaming Crunchyroll on my iPad air went from few network stalls to none.

Still at the $75 for three antennas I paid the improvement is probably not worth it. Only maybe if you want slightly better 5GHz signal in one direction.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Thanks
You would be better served getting a set of 3 9dB antennae. I tried the one WL-ANT-157 antenna in the middle spot as you did and saw no improvement at all on axis for 5GHz, worse performance for 5GHz off axis and 2.4GHz was unaffected of course. The 3 9dB antennae I am using now have improved both range and performance of both bands in all directions.

You would be better served getting a set of 3 9dB antennae. I tried the one WL-ANT-157 antenna in the middle spot as you did and saw no improvement at all on axis for 5GHz, worse performance for 5GHz off axis and 2.4GHz was unaffected of course. The 3 9dB antennae I am using now have improved both range and performance of both bands in all directions.

Can you suggest a good set for me? Asking because it's hard to find this things in Brazil, so i will import this one

Thanks man

Can you suggest a good set for me too ? Like wsarahan i'm from Brazil too and i was ready to bought a Asus WL-ANT-157 Antenna for 70 U$ !!!:eek:

I Have a AC66U + PCE-AC66 since May and i'm having a lot of troubles with 5Ghz.

Can you suggest a good set for me? Asking because it's hard to find this things in Brazil, so i will import this one

Thanks man
I am sorry for taking so long to respond. The web site for SuperPowerSupply.com (one of my favorite suppliers for high gain antennae, range extenders, etc) is down for redesign. However their products are available at Amazon, eBay and Newegg. You can find the 9dBi antenna for Asus on eBay at the link below. They ship worldwide. Just make sure to order 3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Replaceme...osters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item46142a6df1

I am sorry for taking so long to respond. The web site for SuperPowerSupply.com (one of my favorite suppliers for high gain antennae, range extenders, etc) is down for redesign. However their products are available at Amazon, eBay and Newegg. You can find the 9dBi antenna for Asus on eBay at the link below. They ship worldwide. Just make sure to order 3.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Replaceme...osters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item46142a6df1

Thanks man just bought the 3 antenna set right now !!

But what will i do with WL-ANT-157 antenna that i just have bougjt ?

I was looking at these as they seem to be just what I need. I did look at the Amazon site, but eBay sellers are *much* cheaper.

On Amazon.com, a common complaint was that the antennas will flop on their mounting if not directly vertical and will need additional support of they are to be inclined at an angle.

Also, there seem to be enough people not finding an improvement with these to make me think twice. I am seriously considering this Edimax EW-7238RPD N300+ Dual Band Concurrent Universal Wi-Fi Extender.

I was looking at these as they seem to be just what I need. I did look at the Amazon site, but eBay sellers are *much* cheaper.

On Amazon.com, a common complaint was that the antennas will flop on their mounting if not directly vertical and will need additional support of they are to be inclined at an angle.

Also, there seem to be enough people not finding an improvement with these to make me think twice. I am seriously considering this Edimax EW-7238RPD N300+ Dual Band Concurrent Universal Wi-Fi Extender.
I don't have the problem with the antennas flopping over. I had them at an angle with the middle antenna straight up and never had an issue with my 2 AC68U's. I just keep them all straight up now as it doesn't make any difference in either range or performance and just looks better. As for performace, my daughter's room was a troublesome deadspot for 5GHz and slow for 2.4GHz. That room now connects at about 234Mbps in 5GHz and maxes out at 450Mbps in 2.4GHz. So I guess the individual circumstances make all the difference.

I have noticed some improvement with:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMJI9TA/?tag=snbforums-20

If it is worth it to you for the cost, that is hard to determine. I don't have any benchmarks, nor signal improvements to show. In my previous residence, my wii wireless was a bit flakey. With the antennas above, it was stable enough to rely on it, if you can do that with a wireless signal...

And yes they flop, but the left and right go to 45 degree angles just fine, if that is what you want.

It is not just the cost and the shipping to the UK (these antennas are not available here) it is the unknown 'surprise' from customs in the form of duty and sales tax.

It is not just the cost and the shipping to the UK (these antennas are not available here) it is the unknown 'surprise' from customs in the form of duty and sales tax.
Hi,

Why not using the Delock RP-SMA antennas (which are avaliable in Europe) as described in this thread... :rolleyes:

I got them from a local seller in my home town! :)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

I did some looking around and for the money, I know I would have more confidence in a wireless repeater; which would work out cheaper than these antennas.

Thanks for the info anyway. I appreciate your help.

Hi guys

Thanks

Would you like a dose of snake oil? Could be tasty or not, but it might cure you...

For most purposes, antenna's like this, and I looked at the specs - gain isn't that much over the included dipoles... 3dB on the default antennae vs. 5 dP directional...

save your money...

why?

you need three of them - not one... otherwise you'll have an unbalanced link with less performance, and with these "things" - it'll be very directional.

I did some looking around and for the money, I know I would have more confidence in a wireless repeater; which would work out cheaper than these antennas.

Thanks for the info anyway. I appreciate your help.

I've alteady boght the 3 pieces of the 9db antennas that was recommended here and i also have here and using right now a AmpedWireless extender signal, using the 9db antennas and the extender would not be the best of two worlds? Remembering that the antennas did not arrived yet

Or should i use just one or another?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: