What's new

Downgrading Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is it possible to downgrade to a previous official firmware by Asus?
Hi,

Do not forget to reset NVRAM if you jump to an older version: The hidden NVRAM settings of the newer version might conflict with the oder one (and vice versa). :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hi,

Do not forget to reset NVRAM if you jump to an older version: The hidden NVRAM settings of the newer version might conflict with the oder one (and vice versa). :rolleyes:

With kind regards

Hi Joe,

So if coming from an older version, we should do these steps?

1. Reset NVRAM
2. Flash new FW
3. Reset NVRAM
4. Input settings manually

Hi,

That's basically correct: Only step 1 can be skipped, as you reset NVRAM after the down-/upgrade anyway... ;)

With kind regards

Where does that link take you? I'm afraid to click on it.

The link:

http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp

just takes you to one of the pages of your admin web GUI, the one that allows you to submit a command-line style command to your router. Just try it, there's no problem with following the link. But be careful about the commands that you submit that way, of course, as always *smile*. The commands that you submit there are executed by a shell on your router, as if you were logged into your router as "admin".

You could try it with an "ls" command, which would just give you a listing of the files and directories in the current directory. You can use "pwd" to see which directory that you're currently in, and so on.

If you go there by following the above link, and do what the poster suggests, issue these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

you will have cleared the nvram on your router and will have to reconfigure it. Same thing as if you logged into your router as admin and issued those commands.

Last edited:
The link:

http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp

just takes you to one of the pages of your admin web GUI, the one that allows you to submit a command-line style command to your router. Just try it, there's no problem with following the link. But be careful about the commands that you submit that way, of course, as always *smile*. The commands that you submit there are executed by a shell on your router, as if you were logged into your router as "admin".

You could try it with an "ls" command, which would just give you a listing of the files and directories in the current directory. You can use "pwd" to see which directory that you're currently in, and so on.

If you go there by following the above link, and do what the poster suggests, issue these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

you will have cleared the nvram on your router and will have to reconfigure it. Same thing as if you logged into your router as admin and issued those commands.

Won't resetting to factory specs accomplish the same result in clearing the NVRAM? Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Won't resetting to factory specs accomplish the same result in clearing the NVRAM? Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it should...I was explaining what the link that you were questioning was for. Using it to clear the nvram was only an example, you can use it for any command line functionality. My typical method for clearing nvram is using telnet and issuing the "mtd-erase" command, because I'm comfortable with it. There's also the WPS button, and the GUI "restore to factory settings" button, of course. Lots of choices, pick your favorite *smile*.

Yes, it should...I was explaining what the link that you were questioning was for. Using it to clear the nvram was only an example, you can use it for any command line functionality. My typical method for clearing nvram is using telnet and issuing the "mtd-erase" command, because I'm comfortable with it. There's also the WPS button, and the GUI "restore to factory settings" button, of course. Lots of choices, pick your favorite *smile*.

Thank you. I just went back to .271 cleared the NVRAM by rebooting to factory specs and sticking with it. Love the help on this forum.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!