What's new

Download Master fiasco on ASUS RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin cannot fix any closed source driver issues even if he wanted to.

You'll need to wait for Asus to fix the issues which will then be incorporated into a future RMerlin firmware at some later point in time.

For Download Master, i usually unplug the USB drive and rename Download2 folder and Asusware folder to another name, usually a timestamp, and reinstall download master again.

It will allows me to do torrents again for another 20-30 files. :)

Guys, the download master (v3.1.0.93 latest available) on RT-AC68U has problems with 376.47 Merlin release

Tried everything... but it seems hopeless :(

The previous versions of Merlin with this DM release was problem-free (especially 376.44 it was working like a charm)

But it started the typical issues I mentioned before in this post...

ED2K files: get Stuck!
It really is a headache to download ED2K files with 376.47 Merlin with DM 3.1.0.93
They will freeze... No matter what you try !

ED2K + BT files: ED2K files get Stuck but BT files keep on downloading!
Trying to download a mix of ED2K files with BT files are a comedy.
While ED2K files freeze, BT files keep on downloading without any problems.
* Sometimes the DM may stuck too. This happened only 2 times but DM is NOT stable on this 376.47 Merlin FW, I'm sure...

There is a serious problem trying to download with DM 3.1.0.93 on 376.47 Merlin FW !

Hope they will cure it again (ASAP) :confused:

Hi guys,
But it seems DM (Download Master) is a complete fiasco !

Download Master is a very faulty / buggy program. It "always" stucks, freezes in 5-7 hours what ever your load is.

Yeah DM used to work well maybe prior to 2015, but the latest updates are full of bugs. I can't download more than about 4-8 files without the GUI becoming stuck and having to reinstall the DM in order to get it to work again. Currently I've stopped using it altogether. The GUI often freezes showing the same download unchanging speeds even after a restart. I think DM's biggest problem is that there is no good way to easily report problems with the software. There should just a be a button on the DM GUI to report problems on an open forum.

DM 3.1.0.95 is the latest Download Manager available at Asus server & it seems working fine for me. :cool:
I can download 10-20files without freezing or any other issues... may be u need to format your usb HDD & update the fw of your HDD too. Also updating the fw of RT-AC68U to the latest Merlin version, resetting the values and manually entering the desired settings may help.

Download Master ver. 3.1.0.95 is DEFINITELY CRIPPLED in 378.55 !
As a frequent DM user I can say that; there are lots of bugs within this FW version.

1- USB HDD/Flash not recognized after a Reboot/PowerCut etc.
What ever u do, it stays aware of the device connected at the Ports !

2- Magnet links for Torrents are not accepted anymore !
U should always have to download the torrent links first & then "add" to the Download Master which is Rubbish, Time consuming & NOT acceptable !

3- The RAM usage on RT-AC68U seems to be too much. It is always at % 85-90 !?!
In the previous FWs there wasn't any problems like this. The RAM usage was more stable.
It was slowly increasing & then at some point between %85-90, it was decreased to a more sensible %30-40 levels...
Now, it never decreases to those levels, it stays about %85-90 all the time, leaving %25-40 empty RAM space ??? (check out the attached file)

There weren't any issues like those before but.... Now, it's full of bugs.
Maybe the Download Master needs an UpDate or the FW needs some attention, I don't know.
But it's really a headache :(

Attachments

• RTAC68U RAM Usage 378.55.jpg
    RTAC68U RAM Usage 378.55.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 835
I wonder reading this forum where some people suggest the software is fine and others like me are having bugs to the point of uninstalling the software, if the software updates are being targeted for man in the middle attacks frequently? What else would cause users with apparently the same hardware and software to be experiencing such drastically different outcomes? I tend to think software with internet access that runs all the time a users router is on would be good targets for the NSA or other organization with the ability to pull off man in the middle attacks. Is there a published way to check that the software that running on the device is the legit software?

I wonder reading this forum where some people suggest the software is fine and others like me are having bugs to the point of uninstalling the software

A lot of people do zero troubleshooting, and immediately put the blame on the first thing that comes to mind - the router's firmware or hardware. Other people fail to read the provided documentation that would have provided clear explanations and quite often a solution as well. And there are people who have craptastic clients on their network, but systematically blame the router for their problems when the issue lies with the client instead.

Routers are part of an entire ecosystem, with which they need to interact. The entire ecosystem is responsible for the network's stability (or instability). So when everyone share one common element, but they get different stability/performance results, you have to look at what's DIFFERENT in your particular case, as those are far more likely to be the root cause of your issues. Take Apple's devices for instance. By now it's quite obvious that they totally screwed up wifi with recent OS X and iOS releases. People report issues on their forums with all kind of different routers.

A lot of people do zero troubleshooting, and immediately put the blame on the first thing that comes to mind - the router's firmware or hardware. .

Well, I don't agree that it's the first thing that comes to mind. I read online that the download master at least previously was updated via http connection rather than https and so could easily be hacked.

I'm blaming the Download master Software that gets downloaded on to the router.

I've been using the software previously for quite a while without issue until say 10 months ago. I did do troubleshooting, uninstalling and reinstalling the download master software multiple times and trying multiple connected usb drives. Resetting the router, installing the latest firmware. What more can one do? The next step I imagine would be to talk about it on forums like this and look for explanations.

I've read people suggesting that it's due to the way one formats a hard drive but I had not changed the way I formated drives from when it was working and not working and I tried different formats and that did nothing to resolve the issue. The issue is obviously software related. It's more obviously software related because I'm having the same issues as a lot of people on this forum.

How does firmware and hardware issues and zero troubleshooting explain common software problems?

Well, I don't agree that it's the first thing that comes to mind. I read online that the download master at least previously was updated via http connection rather than https and so could easily be hacked.

I was talking about the general question as to why for some people a router might be 100% stable, and for others it's ridden with stability and performance issues, not specific to Download Master.

I've always said that DM was unreliable, because it was trying to use a low-powered router for something it wasn't designed to do. Torrents are very intensive on RAM and I/O, two things that are in shortage on a router with only 256 MB of RAM and relying on a low-performance USB interface for disk I/O.

The chances of your download being hijacked are very, very unlikely.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!