What's new

Drastic difference between read/write speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jmanderson10

New Around Here
Hello everyone. I have been browsing here and the Synology website and can't seem to find answer to a weird problem I am having. I have a DS411+ that has mainly been used for storage and file serving. Recently I built a dedicated media server and have been moving video content to that machine. I have noticed that when I copy files off the 411 the read times are terrible (10-12 MBps). This is contrasted with write speeds to the server in the 70-90 MBps range.

I tried multiple computers, changed ports on my gigabit switch but it seems like any of those would affect overall performance and not one direction.

I am hoping I am just missing something basic and figured maybe someone here would know what that is.

Thanks in advance.

something odd there.

speed is first governed by file size. Small files, low speed.

Writing to NAS, presuming the LAN is not the bottleneck, should be 1/3 or more faster reading than writing. But this can be constrained by the PC/device doing the data sourcing/consuming.

any chance your measurement technique is incorrect?

Thanks for the reply.

I am rebuilding my server into a rackmount setup and had a bad port on a new router.

Took a couple of days of work but found the issue. Sorry to waste the time with a post just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing a setting issue before I started to trouble shoot all my connections/hardware/wires.

Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!