What's new

Drastically need help. Low bandwidth from my ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Snails pace

New Around Here
I'm trying to figure this mess out. I'm disabled and have a smart house with security cameras. Spectrum is my ISP. Since Thanksgiving they've swapped modem and router out 4x. All they keep telling me is to upgrade. I pay for 200Mbps and all I get is 17-22Mbps. I'm not going to upgrade when they don't come close to what I pay for(plus being on a fixed income I can't afford it)
So over the pass few months I've acquired 1 switch, 2 actiontec wcb3000n, 1 ecb2500c, a set of power line adapters,new cat6 and all new cable(only 3 lines of that, comes into house goes to kitchen, bedroom and living room.) All splitters are actiontec specs.
I've changed channels tried everything the most I can get is 25Mbps on a very good day. Can any1 help

I had a similar issue with CenturyLink. My old house had 15/1 Meg DSL. My new house was supposed to have 100/100 FIOS. When I moved into the new house and connected the Asus router I had used at the old house I still had the 15/1 Meg service. Their tech support was of no help. Finally the local tech checked with the folks who provisioned the speed and discovered the speed for my account was still 15/1 Meg. He had it set correctly and before he could call me I had discovered the faster speed and texted to cancel the service call.

The best way to check the speed is to connect a PC directly to the modem. If it works better connect the router and power it up and check the speed again with a wired computer. If it works then do WIFI.

I'm trying to figure this mess out. I'm disabled and have a smart house with security cameras. Spectrum is my ISP. Since Thanksgiving they've swapped modem and router out 4x. All they keep telling me is to upgrade. I pay for 200Mbps and all I get is 17-22Mbps. I'm not going to upgrade when they don't come close to what I pay for(plus being on a fixed income I can't afford it)
So over the pass few months I've acquired 1 switch, 2 actiontec wcb3000n, 1 ecb2500c, a set of power line adapters,new cat6 and all new cable(only 3 lines of that, comes into house goes to kitchen, bedroom and living room.) All splitters are actiontec specs.
I've changed channels tried everything the most I can get is 25Mbps on a very good day. Can any1 help

Wire a PC to the cable modem/gateway and speedtest.net to see what the ISP provisioned dn/up Mbps speeds are. You should see over 200/10 Mbps. If so, then your ISP service and LAN are OK. Then you will need to investigate the remaining LAN and WLAN links to your clients.

What is the make and model of the gateway/router? You may have a gateway that includes both cable modem and wireless router in one box; or you may have separate cable modem and wireless router boxes.

Ideally, the ISP service coax should route directly to the modem/gateway.

You don't need to upgrade your ISP service... just need to get it and your networking working properly.

OE

I had a friend bring his laptop since all I own is wireless. Being wired the top speed is 60. My younger brother works for Spectrum and he told me they probably throttled me for complaining so much plus it's how they get folk to upgrade. When I finally talked to a tech that was honest he told me not to upgrade bc the 100Mbps is the most in my area.

I'm the red from my understanding that's supposed to be good

Screenshot_20210213-121403_Wifi Analyzer.jpg

I had a friend bring his laptop since all I own is wireless. Being wired the top speed is 60. My younger brother works for Spectrum and he told me they probably throttled me for complaining so much plus it's how they get folk to upgrade. When I finally talked to a tech that was honest he told me not to upgrade bc the 100Mbps is the most in my area.

60 is the old top speed. Then 100. Now 200.

If you only get 60 dn when wired to the cable modem, then your options are:

o Confirm your cable modem supports current 200 speed. Investigate the model specs and the Spectrum approved modem list.

o Call Spectrum Tech Support and request a technician to remotely confirm that your service is correctly provisioned for what your are paying for.

Be polite and courteous 100% of the time and don't complain. Simply discuss the problem to discover the problem and then determine the action for solution.

Your goal is to measure 200/10 minimum when wired to the cable modem... what you are paying for.

If you have not cycled power on your cable modem lately, do that before you test.

OE

I was polite the first couple of times. I would be completely happy and satisfied if I could get it to at least 30 or 35 and maintain it there that way my security cameras or any of my smart house will not go down. I've look at their approved list and I just realized their approved list is only for modems not Wi-Fi routers it's strictly for modems and that's what it says. I keep investigating if that's what you want to call it about all these Wi-Fi routers. I just wish they'd all get on the same page and give us whatever

Wire a PC to the cable modem/gateway and speedtest.net to see what the ISP provisioned dn/up Mbps speeds are. You should see over 200/10 Mbps. If so, then your ISP service and LAN are OK. Then you will need to investigate the remaining LAN and WLAN links to your clients.

What is the make and model of the gateway/router? You may have a gateway that includes both cable modem and wireless router in one box; or you may have separate cable modem and wireless router boxes.

Ideally, the ISP service coax should route directly to the modem/gateway.

You don't need to upgrade your ISP service..
It's a spectrum ET2251 MODEM with a rac2v1a router. I use to have a 2 in 1. Spectrum just keeps changing them. When wired up today with all devices either turned off or taken offline completely it rang out at 89.7 Mbps which is best I've had

It's a spectrum ET2251 MODEM with a rac2v1a router. I use to have a 2 in 1. Spectrum just keeps changing them. When wired up today with all devices either turned off or taken offline completely it rang out at 89.7 Mbps which is best I've had

Good, that seems like a decent cable modem. And it's not a router, so you can use your own router, if necessary (later).

SpectrumD31EMTA_New_Sheet.pdf (d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net)
User Guide (d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net)

Now you need to call Spectrum Tech Support and ask them to confirm your service is provisioned for 200/10. Tell them you only test <100/? when wired to the modem.

Reboot the modem before testing it again. And make sure you are testing it with a PC LAN network adapter capable of 1000 Mbps. The link rate will be listed in the Windows CP under the network connection status details. And use a healthy Gigabit Ethernet patch cord from PC to modem.

What is the condition of your outside service cable coming to the house and to your modem? Is it relatively new and healthy, or old worn out crap? Are any exterior coax connections properly protected from the weather/water (drip loops and taped up tight, if not enclosed)?

Get your service working/confirmed and then move on to the router testing.

OE

Last edited:
The cable from pole to house and inside house are all new as of a month after Thanksgiving. Outside is like the biggest then they ran RJ6 (3 lines) inside.
My desktop uses qual com or something like that when Ethernet is plugged into it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!