What's new

DS1515+ Samba transfer problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

if you’re paranoid you can pull a drive ( degrading the array ), shove the new drive but NOT immediately rebuild onto it, instead initialise it as a new (jbod) volume to check it for errors and put some hours on it before committing to the rebuild

the bigger risk in yoru case is the worry that the weirdness you’re seeing with SMB is down to one of the existing drives being on the way out - the risk is when you pull a drive and rebuild the array onto a new drive the increased workload on the remaining old drives can push the failing drive over the edge. This is BAD if it happens - as in lose all you data.

So I’d definitely run a full backup of the array BEFORE doing anything else - either to an external or to another NAS

Most times the process works flawlessly and on those rare occasions process starts but it dies somewhere in the middle of the copy when it already copies a few files and still has more to go. Copy or move starts OK and at some point chokes. After some time it generates an error that the drive is not available and when I click on the mapped drive it is in fact unresponsive. The only way I can resolve this is by clearing the SMB cache using the button available on the file services SMB configuration, under the advanced setting group.

Getting the thread back on track - OP has occasional issues when copying/moving a file over wireless...

my tip - Disable Opportunistic Locking and see if that helps...

Getting the thread back on track - OP has occasional issues when copying/moving a file over wireless...

my tip - Disable Opportunistic Locking and see if that helps...

Thanks for pulling it back sfx2000. Also, thanks for the doc link. I have disabled the opportunistic locking now.
Will have to monitor through the next few large copies and see it helps. Is there a price to pay for disabling it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!