What's new

DS210j - Poor Performance issues - Mac

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

charles5001

New Around Here
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to look at this thread!

I have just bought a DS210j Synology NAS drive.
It has the latest firmware version DSM 2.3-1167.
The unit has identical Samsung 2TB HD203WI drives in it (Synology Compatible, on their list)
It is configured as RAID1 (Mirrored).
My network is all CAT6, with gigabit switches.

I bought this to replace a 1TB Iomega Home Media Network Drive which cost about £110. This was mirrored nightly to another 1TB drive (giving me the data assurance I need).

I was looking forward to trying out the new Synology DS210j unit, and I noticed that whilst I was copying files from my old network drive to the new drive, it was taking an incredible amount of time.

As an example, if I copy a 2.39gb file from each of the network drives to my Mac desktop, the performance is as follows:

From Iomega Home Media Server to my Mac: 1m,19s (Seen as an SMB device)

From Synology DS110j to my Mac: 1m,29s (Seen as an Appleshare device)

I was really expecting something much better in terms of performance. Is this really what I should be expecting?

Also, browsing my music directory (860 folders) takes a little while on the Iomega drive, but on the Synology drive takes up to 20 seconds to show the directory listing, or if its quick, jumping back to the root takes 20 seconds - what on earth is going on?

BTW, I have tried modifying the jumbo frame setting, with no real difference.

Does this mean I need to go to a hugely expensive NAS solution to get the RAID-1 performance that I desire e.g. Qnap Turbo NAS (TS-239 Pro II)? (I'm thinking of returning this already, as it's just not living up to expectations).

Thanks,

Charles.

First, if you're using a computer to copy NAS to NAS, you're adding overhead since you're doing a read from the 1st NAS and write to your computer, then read from your computer then write to the NAS.

I calculate you're getting 27MB/s - 31 MB/s for the transfers you noted.

The Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive measured around 27 MB/s read, but about half that for write. The DS210j measured about 50 MB/read, but 28 MB/s write.

So for the transfer you're making (from Iomega to Synology), it looks like you're getting about what you should.

What's the performance you "desire"?

Tim,

Thanks for the response.

Re your comment about the nas>computer>nas processing you mention - fair point.

In terms of the testing, I was only testing read transfer speed. (i.e. i copied the same file from each drive separately to the mac - one at a time).

Point being that the Iomega (1m,19s) outperformed the DS210j (1m29s) - which was absolutely not what I was expecting - I expected the DS210j to outstrip the Iomega drive considerably.

In terms of the performance "I'd like" from the Synology drive, it would be:

1) noticeably better/faster than the iomega drive
2) much quicker to list the ~860 directories than the iomega (takes about 20s on the DS210j, about a half of that on the iomega).

p.s. I don't have Jumbo frames enabled at all.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Charles.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!