What's new

DS211j VS DNS-320

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

screetch

New Around Here
Hi

i am new here and found this the best forum to ask specific questions about nas. I am basically torn between the two (DS211j and DNS-320) but am also open for suggestions from you guys.

In total I have about 1.5TB of Data (700GB movies all mkv, 300GB of TV Shows, 80 GB of Itunes library and 60GB of pictures)

I am looking for a NAs to store all the data on a central device and also to stop us having various version and dublicates of our picture albums etc.

Here is what I have so far:
1x desktop PC Windows 7 (wired 100mbit lan to router)
1x HTPC windows 7 (Media Center, Media Browser, DVB-S2 card) -->via homeplug network
1x Netbook Windows XP (connected 54Mbit wireless network)
1x PS3

My requirements are:
-2x2TB central data Storage, which is accesable by Win7 and XP users (homegroup does not work)
-I want to have a folder for my movies, pics, tv shows and itunes available as network shares
- can I have the itunes library on the NAS and use Itunes on various pcs to add and organize the itunes library
- be able to see Music Artwork for albums in Itunes (not working with Itunes home sharing)
- stream itunes music to the HTPC and PS3 (purely for listening)
- access and edit our picture library on the NAS but also stream this to
the PS3 and Windows 7 media center

Is is better to stream movies and tv shows to my HTPC or just use MediaCenter etc to play it from the network drive? Any experience?

Now which of the two NAS or any other one is best for me?
The DNS-320 is £200 with 2x2TB drives fitted and the DS211j is £300

The only benefit I can see from the spec is that the DS211j seems to stream more formats and also has Apps for Antroid. ( we will soon buy 2 Antroid phones)..howeve this is not as essential.

Any ideas?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!