What's new

.dsf and .aiff files not recognized as audio files in DLNA of ASUS routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Candemore

New Around Here
I have noticed .dsf (DSD) and .aiff (Apple lossless) files are not recognized as audio files by the ASUS DLNA. Is there any way to have these type of files recognized as audio files by the ASUS DLNA server? If not, how can I ask Asus to take note and maybe included them in a future firmware update? I am using a RT-AX86U with official firmware. Does Merlin fw supports them?
Thanks!!!

Have you tried enabling the iTunes Media Server within the Asus router's GUI? Its possible that iTunes media server may support .dsf and .aiff if the MiniDLNA Media Server that is used by the Asus/Asus-Merlin firmware doesn't support those media files.
[USB Application] How to set up Servers Center - Media Server

Have you tried enabling the iTunes Media Server within the Asus router's GUI? Its possible that iTunes media server may support .dsf and .aiff if the MiniDLNA Media Server that is used by the Asus/Asus-Merlin firmware doesn't support those media files.
[USB Application] How to set up Servers Center - Media Server
Yes. I forgot to tell that I enabled the iTunes media server and strangely .aiff files (an Apple developed format) are not recognized.

Generally the media servers (iTunes and DLNA) used in routers/network attached storage devices are not developed by the manufacturer (Asus in this case) they are instead programs developed by some other person/group, or are open source or GNU (possibly free) programs that are incorporated into the firmware to provide the media server functionality. You may have to go direct to the MiniDLNA or who ever makes the iTunes server code used by Asus to see if they can give you an answer on how to use those media formats with their media servers. Or you may have to either reencode the media files into a format supported by the media servers used by Asus, or find and run a separate media server that supports .dsf/.aiff media on another network device.

Or you may have to either reencode the media files into a format supported by the media servers used by Asus, or find and run a separate media server that supports .dsf/.aiff media on another network device.
Yes, I know. I asked looking for an easy fix. Do you know if Merlin fw support these files in its DLNA server?
Thanks!

Do you know if Merlin fw support these files in its DLNA server?
Merlin is built from the Asus firmware. The DLNA media server (MiniDLNA) will likely have the same supported media file limitations as that used by the Asus firmware. The Asus-Merlin Wiki does have the following section related to MiniDLNA. However, it doesn't address dealing with, or adding, unsupported media file formats.

A Minidlna Configuration Solution for AsusWRT-Merlin routers

Edit to add: In short the MiniDLNA media server (version 1.2.1) running within the 386.7_2 Asus-Merlin firmware on a RT-AC68U does not see/catalogue/stream ".aiff" media files.

Last edited:
On a side note. In a quick test using Plex running on a Synology NAS, Plex did find and list the a AIFF test music file in a Plex Music library folder located on a NAS. Plex clients properly saw and play the AIFF sample file. With Plex's DLNA media server option enabled, DLNA clients (VLC and Rocu Media Player) were able to see and play the AIFF file streamed from the Plex DLNA media server. Obviously not optimal or what your looking for, but using an alternate media server is an option/alternative to work around the issue of the the MiniDLNA media server on the router not supporting AIFF files.

Merlin is built from the Asus firmware. The DLNA media server (MiniDLNA) will likely have the same supported media file limitations as that used by the Asus firmware. The Asus-Merlin Wiki does have the following section related to MiniDLNA. However, it doesn't address dealing with, or adding, unsupported media file formats.

A Minidlna Configuration Solution for AsusWRT-Merlin routers

Edit to add: In short the MiniDLNA media server (version 1.2.1) running within the 386.7_2 Asus-Merlin firmware on a RT-AC68U does not see/catalogue/stream ".aiff" media files.
Thanks!

By the way, do you know if the DLNA media server of the Merlin-AsusWRT has the same problem with .aiff and .dsf audio files?

By the way, do you know if the DLNA media server of the Merlin-AsusWRT has the same problem with .aiff and .dsf audio files?

Most likely. MiniDLNA is developed as a seperate project by a (former?) NETGEAR employee. ASUS/Merlin take it as-is and incorporate it into the firmware. It's unlikely they'll backport or implement suppport for whatever the latest MiniDLNA upstream supports or doesn't support.

I stopped updating minidlna a few years ago because Asus' minidlna code is too heavily customized, it was getting too difficult to harmonize their changes with newer minidlna code. You'll have to hope for Asus to eventually update it themselves.

Yes. I run Asus-Merlin firmware and it's MiniDLNA media server doesn't see .aiff files. As RMerlin indicates, it's the same "DLNA server" as that found in the stock Asus firmware. So same limitations.

Thanks dudes for all the info!
:)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!