What's new

[DSL-AC68U] GNUton / Merlin builds for DSL routers - v386 ALPHA testing only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trend Micro: Fixed, but I am not sure if it really works yet. more testing needed

Use the test links on this page to test Malicious Website blocking:

Adaptive QoS can be tested by checking the Classification tab and ensuring traffic gets assigned to categories.,

No idea how to test the IDP/IPS however.

The new alpha3 pre-release is ready for testing:
I ran a speed test and my ping is now 5 instead of 16. Pretty interesting! :D

In any case this is the current status:
DSL: Works
Trend Micro: Fixed, but I am not sure if it really works yet. more testing needed
Entware:not tested yet.
QOS: Seems to work, but futher testing needed
USB: not tested yet.
AI Mesh: not tested yet.

Trend Micro - is still not working :(

Any other tricks to try ?

1605939666166.png

Another thing i found is the Enable JFFS wont set - you choose yes and then it goes back to not set

1605939903967.png

Last edited:
Excellent news ... let us know when alpha3 ready ... but please fix version number to 386.1_0-gnuton1 ... or whatever as long as it shows 386 rather than 384 ... :D .
True I will fix that, that's just a git tag, so do not get fooled by the version name.

Nearly flawless @GNUton - I have tested everything that I usually use and not had any issues. Just confirm @r0bbieNZ statement that the dot within Enable JFFS does not stick after apply - BUT the JFFS is in fact enabled after selecting it and applying - webui just needs a minor fix ;) .

To be specific - I was on Asus stock version 386.39648 which I had factory reset after install. THEN I dirty flashed your alpha3 - perfect no problem ... except system complains about low NVRAM [almost none left] - so I ran my usual command [sourced here on the forums] ..
Code:
for line in `nvram show | grep ^[^=]*=$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done; nvram commit
Rebooted

Then with new USB flash stick [formatted in Win10 PC to NTSC] ran amtm from firmware under SSH - formatted USB ext4 with journaling - and fully installed all add-ons per image below ... all running flawlessly for several hours now ...
gnuton-386-1.JPG

As to Trend Micro - the test sites @RMerlin provided above did not trigger any blocks at the Router - and although the signature claimed to have updated under the firmware tab - as reported by @r0bbieNZ above - the signature version does not appear in the webui and remain 0.0000 !

Very nearly there - well done :D.

@GNUton thanks for your job on DSL firmware!

I have some feedback from 384.19_0-gnuton0_alpha3:
- Internet Speed measuring in Adaptive QoS does not work
- I have issue with DSL Firmware Version 1.0.5.1. If G.vector (G.993.5) is enabled then upload speed is cut in half. This is not happened with DSL 1.0.4.9 and neither ZyXEL WMG1312-B30B. Probably some incompatibility between firmware and DSLam.
- Feedback in Administration show fault page
- Wrong Regional Mode is shown "A" but annex mode is set to "ANNEX B"

Last edited:
Make sure the JFFS partition is actually mounted (check under Tools -> Sysinfo), otherwise the router won't have anywhere to store Trend Micro signatures.

Make sure the JFFS partition is actually mounted (check under Tools -> Sysinfo), otherwise the router won't have anywhere to store Trend Micro signatures.
In my case JFFS definitely mounted ... all addons running from there and folder AiProtectionMonitor was created and contains .db file - but webui still does not record any blocks despite running Trend Micro suggested traps many times - both http and https versions of the supplied links.

- I have issue with DSL Firmware Version 1.0.5.1. If G.vector (G.993.5) is enabled then upload speed is cut in half. This is not happened with DSL 1.0.4.9 and neither ZyXEL WMG1312-B30B. Probably some incompatibility between firmware and DSLam.
Thanks for the feedback. Is this issue with DSL firmware something you notice with the stock firmware too? if so, have you reported this to asus? What's the provider/country were are you testing the router?

If required I can generate images withouth the DSL firmware. So it won't update the old one (I guess.. never tried).

Nearly flawless @GNUton - I have tested everything that I usually use and not had any issues. Just confirm @r0bbieNZ statement that the dot within Enable JFFS does not stick after apply - BUT the JFFS is in fact enabled after selecting it and applying - webui just needs a minor fix ;) .

To be specific - I was on Asus stock version 386.39648 which I had factory reset after install. THEN I dirty flashed your alpha3 - perfect no problem ... except system complains about low NVRAM [almost none left] - so I ran my usual command [sourced here on the forums] ..
Code:
for line in `nvram show | grep ^[^=]*=$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done; nvram commit
Rebooted

Then with new USB flash stick [formatted in Win10 PC to NTSC] ran amtm from firmware under SSH - formatted USB ext4 with journaling - and fully installed all add-ons per image below ... all running flawlessly for several hours now ...
View attachment 27823
As to Trend Micro - the test sites @RMerlin provided above did not trigger any blocks at the Router - and although the signature claimed to have updated under the firmware tab - as reported by @r0bbieNZ above - the signature version does not appear in the webui and remain 0.0000 !

Very nearly there - well done :D.
For me
Another thing i found is the Enable JFFS wont set - you choose yes and then it goes back to not set

View attachment 27819
Do you have /jffs mounted?
I got "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" working after setting "Format JFFS partition at next boot"

1606003796471.png

It works for me
1606005169740.png

Can you tell me what's the URL? Cannot find it.
Do you get a different regional mode with the stock asus firmware?

Hi @GNUton , another big fan here. Many great thanks for your work so far and fingers crossed for the successful development of the 386.xx code. Sadly, I can't offer my help testing alpha versions, since 2 home offices and 2 home schools depend at the moment on my DSL-AC68U running your latest stable version. In case of any accidental crash I'm likely to be decapitated or eaten alive :cool: But I am cheering for you and would be the most glad to at least offer you a remote beer or coffee - do you have any donation link? I know this question was already asked in the old sticky thread, but I couldn't find any conclusive answer.

On JFFS - must be something wrong in webui code on Administrator page.
Enable JFFS does indeed happen [in fact seems to be on by default rather than off] - but the setting display does not stick.
I know @GNUton got it to appear set after Format JFFS after next reboot - but the DISPLAY of the setting does not stick for me.

If I navigate away from and then back to that webui page - the dot has disappeared and the setting seems not to be enabled or disabled.

Also on AiProtect - signature says it is updating - but the number remains 0.0000 even after successful update and refresh of the page.
Pretty sure AiProtect is not working properly either - nothing appears to be blocked by it - even after running tests from RMerlin.

I have even rerun Factory Default setup after once again flashing Alpha3 - re-applied all settings and installations manually - and still get no change to the above two issues.

Hi @GNUton , another big fan here. Many great thanks for your work so far and fingers crossed for the successful development of the 386.xx code. Sadly, I can't offer my help testing alpha versions, since 2 home offices and 2 home schools depend at the moment on my DSL-AC68U running your latest stable version. In case of any accidental crash I'm likely to be decapitated or eaten alive :cool: But I am cheering for you and would be the most glad to at least offer you a remote beer or coffee - do you have any donation link? I know this question was already asked in the old sticky thread, but I couldn't find any conclusive answer.

Scroll down on this github link and you will find a PayPal donation link ...
https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng

On JFFS - must be something wrong in webui code on Administrator page.
Enable JFFS does indeed happen [in fact seems to be on by default rather than off] - but the setting display does not stick.
I know @GNUton got it to appear set after Format JFFS after next reboot - but the DISPLAY of the setting does not stick for me.

If I navigate away from and then back to that webui page - the dot has disappeared and the setting seems not to be enabled or disabled.
For me it just worked out, but I will try again and see what could make it not working.

Also on AiProtect - signature says it is updating - but the number remains 0.0000 even after successful update and refresh of the page.
Pretty sure AiProtect is not working properly either - nothing appears to be blocked by it - even after running tests from RMerlin.

I have even rerun Factory Default setup after once again flashing Alpha3 - re-applied all settings and installations manually - and still get no change to the above two issues.
This is high priority now among the other tasks.. I checked the code and version is read from the nvram and it's read in many places but I do not see any code writing it yet anywhere. Maybe in a prebuild.
I will continue to investigate. The rules are anyway in a /jffs dir.

Just to say thanks Gnuton for your work. I have been running alpha3 since 22/11/20 and it is rock steady. I do not use any of the TrendMicro services. JFFS enabled with Skynet & dnscrypt working fine. Same minor issue with the setting display for JFFS as Kernol said.

As for the JFFS issue. The value in the UI is read from the NVRAM. The key is jffs2_script
Btw there is something (amtm?) which unsets te value.

Test : tried to set the value manualli
nvram set jffs2_scripts=1
I got 1, but after a few secs the following command returned nothing
nvram get jffs2_scripts

do you have any idea what s happening? cannot find any code touching jffs2_script

As for the JFFS issue. The value in the UI is read from the NVRAM. The key is jffs2_script
Btw there is something (amtm?) which unsets te value.

Test : tried to set the value manualli
nvram set jffs2_scripts=1
I got 1, but after a few secs the following command returned nothing
nvram get jffs2_scripts

do you have any idea what s happening? cannot find any code touching jffs2_script

Disable ASD when building your firmware. That's the cause of your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.