What's new

DSL-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unclebriman

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I have been searching for some possible settings to get a better gaming experience at home using QoS.

Could someone point me in the right direction I have ADSL2+ connection and play on XBOX, and I don't want to stop my partner from streaming Netflix or using her phone.

Currently have the following setup on the Modem/Router

UPnP Disabled
Port Fowarding for Xbox Live (3074) - Xbox is static IP
Adaptive QoS (Gaming)

Last edited:
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I have been searching for some possible settings to get a better gaming experience at home using QoS.

Could someone point me in the right direction I have ADSL2+ connection and play on XBOX, and I don't want to stop my partner from streaming Netflix or using her phone.

Welcome! You couldn't have asked at a better time.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/

With the RMerlin build available for your DSL model hot off the press, and the FreshJR QoS script, you'll achieve exactly what you want. :)

Feel free to ask for more help as needed. :)

Could you let me know which file I am downloading for the firmware please?

Apply the script after the firmware?

If you could give me a bit of a step by step that would be great I don't know how to do all of this applying scripts etc...

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to talk directly to the developer of that firmware, @GNUton, in the other thread to get the firmware fully and properly installed onto your router/modem.

After, to install the script, all you will need is to allow access from your LAN (only) to SSH. Use PuTTY to log in to your router with the same user name and password as you use now for the GUI, and then paste the command given in the FreshJR post.

The default install of FreshJR QoS is a marked improvement over Asus' stock QoS code implementation. :)

Use Parental Control.

The bottom one listed is the correct firmware with all Merlin-Ware features enabled.
The md5 file is simply the embedded security code to ensure the above firmware file is valid and not tampered with.

My main router is an RT-AC5300 on which I have used RMerlin firmware since purchase many moons ago.
Frankly - I would have binned the router were it not for Merlin-Ware.
You not only get much more stable firmware, better throughput etc - but also the ability to add extremely useful features.
See me signature for the ones I personally use.

As you will see from my post here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/#post-479134
I have also used @GNUton Merlin adapted firmware on my DSL-AC68U.

Ok I have install the firmware and the "FreshJR Adaptive QOS" and followed the QOS Recommended Setup...

Allow the router to settle for a few hours - then run tests at this link http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
Your target is to crack 3 A+ ratings "Overall" "Buffer-bloat" and "Quality".
Once achieved you can rearrange your traffic type priorities and tweak throttling if needed [I did not have to].
FreshJR "out the box" does an awesome job.

ENJOY ... and Welcome to Merlin Magic ;)

I have starting having issue's after rebooting modem today... could someone please assist with the log file attached?

Attachments

• log.txt
    56.5 KB · Views: 239
If no one could help with this issue is someone able to assist with reverting back to original "out of box" firmware?

I have starting having issue's after rebooting modem today... could someone please assist with the log file attached?

What issues are you having? The log is of much more help with some context to it. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!