What's new

Dsl modem in bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hmm.. good thought.. I only have (a lot) of Ethernet cables that came with various routers, modems and other devices. But, everything is as fast as can be expected over Ethernet already (getting full speeds promised by ISP if wifi is taken out of the picture). Do you still think it could have an impact (my knowledge of networking is quite limited)?

thanks.. i'll see if i can get a higher quality cable from somewhere.. that may take me bit though!

Not sure i follow the last comment? Why not a software problem (can't say definitively that it is of course) but (I am also trying to learn about this stuff.. it is interesting/addictive and that's more what this comment is about)..

-cable is plugged in, physical positioning of the three devices is unchanged and it is fast. while i have a higher max speed with cable it is rarely faster than the dsl constant speed set up wired.
-if interference, how come it is not affecting asus when it is plugged into cable when all the devices are in the same positions and turned on? i noted earlier that with asus cable wifi 2.4 there is a slight drop in speed as compared to wired. this has always been the case since before i got dsl. I got dsl last week, i have had the asus for about a month and a half.
-is whether the internet supplied to asus is from cable or dsl in bridge mode just completely irrelevant to the asus router/firmware?

It's very difficult to follow what your setup is and what you are doing. It's possible that there's some pieces of the puzzle that are still not apparent.

For example, it's only by deduction that what you have been referring to as a cable modem actually isn't. It is in fact a combined cable modem and wireless router, behind which you have placed another wireless router (the Asus). So you have a double-NAT setup. You have said the Asus is a "66u" which is presumably an RT-AC66U, but you are now calling it an AC1750.

When you say "cable" it's sometimes hard to know whether you are referring to an Ethernet cable, the cable modem/router, what is connected to what, whether the cable modem/router is in bridge mode, whether the "modem's" wireless has been turned off, etc. So unless you have said otherwise I'm having to assume that these things haven't changed between tests.

It's also concerning that your ISP speeds seems to vary even when things are working.

On the face of it there isn't any software settings that would only effect on wireless speeds just because the ISP connection changed.

The only significant thing that we have found so far is the moving the routers further apart the speed went from 4-15 Mbps to 20-24 Mbps.

Are you running any non-standard settings on the Asus? Like torrents, media server, VPN, etc.?

Sorry.. I will try to clarify.

-cable modem with router, standard supplied by service provider.

-i believe ac66 and 1750 are the same..
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC66U-B1/

-in my previous posts if I said "cable" I meant the internet connection type. If you see "Ethernet cable" or "wired" I meant Ethernet cable.

-cable modem is not in bridge mode.

-i tested Dsl + Asus with cable wifi on and off and even with the cable modem unplugged completely. It made no difference in the results.

-each test specifies what is connected to what. In case one (good) cable modem is connected to Asus router. Laptop is connected to either the cable modem or Asus with an Ethernet cable or wifi 2.4ghz as specified in the various tests conducted with cable modem hooked up to asus. In case 2 (bad) cable modem is out of the picture and Dsl modem (bridge mode) is connected to the Asus. Each of the tests conducted in case one were repeated with Dsl as internet source.

-internet speed is expected to vary with cable internet, hence ranges were posted over several speed tests. In the case of Dsl the speed is expected to be constant and is constant (and full as promised by ISP) if connected with Ethernet cable through both Dsl modem and Asus (tested separately by plugging in laptop with a wire). Yes, i guess it is weird that the WiFi speed varies with dsl.. not sure if that is expected or not with Dsl, I have had cable all my life till now.

-when the tests were conducted no non standard things. No torrents or VPN. Now (shortly before my last post) I have configured open vpn client to selectively route one device (not the laptop) through a vpn service. So, this had no bearing on the information I posted as it was not set up at that time.

Hope that clears things up! Let me know if something is not clear and I will try to explain it better.

I suspect double nat is an issue. If you cannot bridge that modem you will have all kinds of network anomalies. Router behind router is never good.

I suspect double nat is an issue. If you cannot bridge that modem you will have all kinds of network anomalies. Router behind router is never good.
In this particular case I don't think the double NAT has any bearing on his problem, because his issue is when he uses the DSL modem not the cable modem. I'm reluctant to suggest he starts reconfiguring his cable modem as that will just introduce even more uncertainty. Also, any NAT issues wouldn't have any effect on just his wireless performance but not his wired.

In this particular case I don't think the double NAT has any bearing on his problem, because his issue is when he uses the DSL modem not the cable modem. I'm reluctant to suggest he starts reconfiguring his cable modem as that will just introduce even more uncertainty. Also, any NAT issues wouldn't have any effect on just his wireless performance but not his wired.
Good point!

Yeah.. the cable one is working fine and is what I am using to baseline. Maybe you guys are saying we can make that work better but it is the service I an looking to cancel so no point putting effort into that.

Last edited:
Sorry.. I will try to clarify.

-cable modem with router, standard supplied by service provider.

-i believe ac66 and 1750 are the same..
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC66U-B1/

-in my previous posts if I said "cable" I meant the internet connection type. If you see "Ethernet cable" or "wired" I meant Ethernet cable.

-i tested Dsl + Asus with cable wifi on and off and even with the cable modem unplugged completely. It made no difference in the results.

-each test specifies what is connected to what. In case one (good) cable modem is connected to Asus router. Laptop is connected to either the cable modem or Asus with an Ethernet cable or wifi 2.4ghz as specified in the various tests conducted with cable modem hooked up to asus. In case 2 (bad) cable modem is out of the picture and Dsl modem (bridge mode) is connected to the Asus. Each of the tests conducted in case one were repeated with Dsl as internet source.

-internet speed is expected to vary with cable internet, hence ranges were posted over several speed tests. In the case of Dsl the speed is expected to be constant and is constant (and full as promised by ISP) if connected with Ethernet cable through both Dsl modem and Asus (tested separately by plugging in laptop with a wire). Yes, i guess it is weird that the WiFi speed varies with dsl.. not sure if that is expected or not with Dsl, I have had cable all my life till now.

-when the tests were conducted no non standard things. No torrents or VPN. Now (shortly before my last post) I have configured open vpn client to selectively route one device (not the laptop) through a vpn service. So, this had no bearing on the information I posted as it was not set up at that time.

Hope that clears things up! Let me know if something is not clear and I will try to explain it better.

If you were to sketch your network on paper, fully labelled and then photograph it and upload it, it would be a great help to numbskulls like me and might also serve as a sort of summary point reducing the need to closely read the earlier posts. A good picture is indeed worth at least a thousand words.

If you were to sketch your network on paper, fully labelled and then photograph it and upload it, it would be a great help to numbskulls like me and might also serve as a sort of summary point reducing the need to closely read the earlier posts. A good picture is indeed worth at least a thousand words.

Attached.
Case 1 is the good scenario/baseline/cable modem.
Case 2 is the bad scneario/dsl modem.

When you look at this, THERE IS ONLY ONE RED LINK AT A TIME and each result was gathered in a separate test with the appropriate linkage created. What you see in black is constant.

Attachments

• case1.jpg
    case1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 335
  • case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 457
Two other thoughts.

Make sure that when you do your wireless tests you don't have the Ethernet cable from the laptop still connected to the router. This can create network loops.

What wireless link speeds are you getting when you are connected to each router (it will dynamically change).

A screen shot from inSSIDer might also be useful. But don't run inSSIDer whilst doing your speed tests because it will have a big negative effect.

Hi Colin,

Ethernet was disconnected when connected to WiFi. When Ethernet I turned off the WiFi radio.

Speeds are noted beside each red link in the attached images.

Cable modem: 40-55mbps down, 7-10 up.
Dsl modem (has know problems with wifi speeds): 10 up, 5 down.

Asus with cable internet as source: 35-45 down, 8-15 up.

Asus with Dsl as internet source: (now after physical separation you suggested) 20 down, 10 up, previously 4-15 down, 2-8 up.

Would you like to see screen shots of something specific?

Yes I saw those speeds but I'm assuming they are the results from your speed tests. I was asking for the "link speed" of the wireless adapter whilst the test was taking place:

Untitled.png

I only asked about the screen shot in case it highlighted an abnormally high level of background RF noise or an unusually low signal strength.

Well I've run out of ideas. To me, it still sounds likely to be a physical or environmental issue rather than a software setting.

I think in your position I'd choose the "nuclear" option; Turn off and unplug every single item in the room. Turn off any nearby fluorescent or LED lights, cordless phones, phone chargers, etc.. Remove any multi-way power strips. After all of that plug in just the DSL modem followed by the Asus directly into the mains wall sockets. The two devices should be connected with a good quality Cat5e cable and the Asus should be positioned away from the walls or any other devices (printers, PCs, TV's). The antennas should be in a "W" shape. No other Ethernet cables should be connected to either device.

After all that, do your test again, preferably from two or more clients devices. If you still can't get consistent results I'd be tempted to return the Asus as faulty.:(