What's new

DSL-N66U Probably a stupid question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

boguing

New Around Here
I've had this thing for years, but since changing to fibre and having a BT then Vodafone router just used it as an access point (because the wifi on those is a bit rubbish).

Now I'd like to use it as the sole router. The fibre termination box has RJ45 sockets and the obvious thing to do is connect to the WAN port. That's what the Vodafone box does. But it seems to me that manual insists I should be connecting to the DSL port, and that's an RJ11 socket.

Connecting to the WAN port hasn't worked. I think I've got all the settings right, hence my joining here to put straight on which port to use before I waste more time on settings!

Yes you'd need to use the WAN port and then reflect this in the WAN settings on the router. You'll also need to talk to Vodafone and get them to send you the username and password (they're not always very good at sending the correct info).
Thing is.... The DSL-N66U is an old slow router, unless you have some specific purpose the Vodafone-supplied router will run rings around it

Yes you'd need to use the WAN port and then reflect this in the WAN settings on the router. You'll also need to talk to Vodafone and get them to send you the username and password (they're not always very good at sending the correct info).
Thing is.... The DSL-N66U is an old slow router, unless you have some specific purpose the Vodafone-supplied router will run rings around it
Encouraged and discouraged in one reply! I've had a few days without fibre (be careful when you're pulling ivy down) and took the opportunity to rearrange things, this was part of it. Having failed to get the Asus working I reset the Voda one, and have to admit that it seems to be better behaved - it used to refuse to talk to a Samsung tablet, but that's working now.

So thanks, I know where to look if I do revert to it. (And, amazingly, Voda sent me an sms with all the setting without once asking which lights were on!).

This old router surprisingly has recent firmware update:

1717023696679.png

It also has an Ethernet WAN port - rare find for xDSL/Router combo devices.

It can push 200Mbps on 5GHz band to common 2-stream clients. May be good enough for slower Internet connections. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest.