What's new

Asus AX88U DSL Connection Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spaghetti_Jack

Occasional Visitor
hey guys!
wanna set up my internet connection due to a provider change.
cant use my o2 homebox anymore and wanna use my Asus AX88U router.

my issue is that the router cant connect to the DSL network.
as im aware of it i got one rj11 and two rj45 cables.

my o2box was connecten with an rj45/2pin and is still giving the signal that the DSL connection is established.
but the asus router not.

i also bought an adapter from rj11 to r45 on amazon. but no success.
i even tried to get the dsl connection somehow through my o2 box. tried the wan and lan connection and the telephone connection. no success.

what am i doing wrong?
thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8887.jpg
    IMG_8887.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 15.19.05.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 15.19.05.png
    148.2 KB · Views: 34
  • b0c8b8d6aa695125a12540d8a2938b24f83c5c4a0702073390ace6700e961228.jpg
    b0c8b8d6aa695125a12540d8a2938b24f83c5c4a0702073390ace6700e961228.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8888.JPG
    IMG_8888.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8889.JPG
    IMG_8889.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
hey guys!
wanna set up my internet connection due to a provider change.
cant use my o2 homebox anymore and wanna use my Asus AX88U router.

my issue is that the router cant connect to the DSL network.
as im aware of it i got one rj11 and two rj45 cables.

my o2box was connecten with an rj45/2pin and is still giving the signal that the DSL connection is established.
but the asus router not.

i also bought an adapter from rj11 to r45 on amazon. but no success.
i even tried to get the dsl connection somehow through my o2 box. tried the wan and lan connection and the telephone connection. no success.

what am i doing wrong?
thanks in advance

I would expect to interconnect the boxes like this:

DSL ISP <phone cable> DSL modem <Ethernet cable> WAN AX88U router

OE

you need a DSL modem specifically compatible with the provider's equipment. Go to their website support pages for third party DSL modems that they recommend. select from that list. Then if you have issues contact the provider for support.

If you have an RT-AX88U and not a DSL-AX88U then you need a vdsl2 modem as already mentioned.
Something like this will do you:
Ebay link

Thanks for the answers so far,

Is there any recommendable modem which may have firmware you think is good,
like this for example? https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

I would then sell the RT-AX88U and only have one quality model.

Could you please give me advice on what are the good ones?

edit:
chatGPT told me about those. Do you have experience with any of those?

Netgear DM200 : custom firmware options for this modem are limited
Technicolor modems : like the TG789vac v2 and DGA4130, they can also be flashed with custom firmware.
DrayTek Vigor 130 : DSL2/ADSL2+ compatible modem that can also be run with custom firmware.
Zyxel VMG1312-B10D : reported that some users have successfully installed OpenWrt
Zyxel VMG8324-B10A : require advanced technical skills to flash custom firmware onto it.
TP-Link Archer VR600v : support for custom firmware like OpenWrt
TP-Link TD-W9970: supports VDSL2/ADSL2+/ADSL2/ADSL, and reportedly works with custom firmware like OpenWrt.
AVM FRITZ!Box Series : AVM's FRITZ!Box series of modem 7490 and 7590, support VDSL2.
Billion BiPAC 8800NL R2: reports of users successfully flashing the device with OpenWrt or similar firmware.
Netgear D6400: This is an AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router. Netgear routers are generally known for their compatibility with custom firmware, not all of their modems may support it.
Comtrend VR-3033: This is a VDSL2 router with a multi-DSL mode that supports ADSL2/2+ as well. Reports about successfully flashing this device with custom firmware

thank you

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers so far,

Is there any recommendable modem which may have firmware you think is good,
like this for example? https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

I would then sell the RT-AX88U and only have one quality model.

Could you please give me advice on what are the good ones?

edit:
chatGPT told me about those. Do you have experience with any of those?

Netgear DM200 : custom firmware options for this modem are limited
Technicolor modems : like the TG789vac v2 and DGA4130, they can also be flashed with custom firmware.
DrayTek Vigor 130 : DSL2/ADSL2+ compatible modem that can also be run with custom firmware.
Zyxel VMG1312-B10D : reported that some users have successfully installed OpenWrt
Zyxel VMG8324-B10A : require advanced technical skills to flash custom firmware onto it.
TP-Link Archer VR600v : support for custom firmware like OpenWrt
TP-Link TD-W9970: supports VDSL2/ADSL2+/ADSL2/ADSL, and reportedly works with custom firmware like OpenWrt.
AVM FRITZ!Box Series : AVM's FRITZ!Box series of modem 7490 and 7590, support VDSL2.
Billion BiPAC 8800NL R2: reports of users successfully flashing the device with OpenWrt or similar firmware.
Netgear D6400: This is an AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router. Netgear routers are generally known for their compatibility with custom firmware, not all of their modems may support it.
Comtrend VR-3033: This is a VDSL2 router with a multi-DSL mode that supports ADSL2/2+ as well. Reports about successfully flashing this device with custom firmware

thank you

Ask your ISP for a list of their approved DSL modems... I think it's best to keep the modem in its own box separate from the router of your choice.

I would not quote AI bots here... that is not reliable information.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!