What's new

dual-band main node with tri-band mesh nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StephenO1683

New Around Here
I am looking to see if it's possible to control the Tri-Band nodes with ASUS stock firmware. In my previous setup I had 2 RT-AX92Us that had three different SSIDs available since I used ethernet backhaul and a RT-68U. With the recent sale on the GT-AX6000 I picked that up because I wanted the extra proc and memory as I have 50-60 devices on my network at any one time. The AX92 wasn't able to accurately speedtest from various clients on my network vs what my paid speeds were.

So last night I backed up my configuration from my previous main RT-AX92U and restored it on the GT-AX6000 and reset my AX92Us so they could be set as mesh nodes. Everything adopted well and in the UI for the new GT I could see my three distinct SSIDs but it didn't look like either 92U was broadcasting that second 5GHz network. So I factory reset everything and did fresh setups and it doesn't look like I can control anything on the tri-band nodes from the AXs webui \ app screen. The only thing I can do is the 5GHz-2 radios on or off from the AiMesh management screen. From that screen it looks like its just broadcasting the same 5GHz SSID twice.

Are there any hidden settings in ASUS firmware where I could control those other bands to be a different SSID? If I can't are those extra bands running on different frequencies or any benefit of them just rebroadcasting the same SSID?

Thanks for any input in advance.

So last night I backed up my configuration from my previous main RT-AX92U and restored it on the GT-AX6000

Conventional wisdom recommends only restoring saved settings to the router model/firmware version that created them.

OE

You issue sounds similar to mine. Did you find any solution?
I opened up a ticket with ASUS but not much came from it. It seemed like they filed a feature request to add the ability to control the additional tri-band networks if the main node is only dual-band. I didn't try any other firmware besides official so something might already exist there.

Conventional wisdom recommends only restoring saved settings to the router model/firmware version that created them.

OE

Yeah I eventually just did a factory reset and setup everything fresh and that's when I found out that you couldn't control the additional bands on the mesh nodes.

I have been working with GT-AX6000 router and three AX92U for about a week now. I have the same type of issue you describe after uploading the config from the old AX92U to the GT-AX6000. I am using Merlin and not stock firmware however. I have 125+ devices on my network to deal with - lots of light switches etc.

My screen on the GT-AX6000 also shows three networks, but the 5gHz-2 seems to be a dummy. If I try to modify those settings, my changes are ignored. And the wireless page only has one 5gHz band (makes sense as it's a dual band router). The node pages allow me to turn the 5gHz-2 (and the 2.4 and 5gHz-1) radios on or off for each router but dont allow any other control. It is unclear to me what channels the nodes are using - I can see that the GT-AX6000 is on channel 100 (looking at its wireless page).
set to MCS 9 and not MCS 11, causing me to achieve only AC speeds.

I seem to have it working. I believe the AX6000 treats the two 5gHz bands as one combined band (which is it) and the 92Us do there own thing.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!