What's new

Dual Wan-1 ISP, 2 Lan lines into Wan & Wan/Lan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

T.S.Fellow

Occasional Visitor
Does this setup actually help? I'm running one gig fiber line into modem. Then two Lan lines into an rt-ac88u one Wan and the other Lan as the dedicated dual wan port.

I did some custom routing and other testing, things seem quicker, but I'm not sure if there's any actual real world load balancing happening setting it up this way. Or do I legit need two ISP's, or at least two separate fiber lines incoming to make a difference? Thanks.

What is the make/model of your modem. Modems normally only have one LAN connection, if yours has got more than one then it sounds like either it's a modem/router or it's a modem with two LAN ports that can be link aggregated.

What is the make/model of your modem. Modems normally only have one LAN connection, if yours has got more than one then it sounds like either it's a modem/router or it's a modem with two LAN ports that can be link aggregated.

The modem is the ATT provided Arris BGW210-700. The downside is, I can't find anything to support LACP in their modem. ATT also makes is very hard to remove their modem and use your own. I know some people have run VLAN switches to spoof the handshake and then remove the provided modem.

This one is a modem/router combo, and I have turned off the radios, and run my ac88u as passthrough. The modem does have 4-1G port LAN. I was able to use this to setup dual WAN for a bit, but I would prefer to use link aggregation. I was not very happy with the dual wan results.

My end goal is to provide better throughput and balancing. I am running a lot of wifi devices and cameras, etc. I also have a bit of an odd setup. Arris modem, to ac88u (main router) to Lyra mesh (3). So dual band router to tri band mesh, which is a bummer too to lose the 3rd band.

Was really trying to better understand dual wan vs link aggregation benefits for my type of setup. Since I know I can get dual wan, but not likely link aggregation without a new att based modem that supports LACP. Thanks for the help.

From the information I've found on the internet about this device there's nothing to suggest it's capable of more than 1Gbps of throughput even if your ISP plan allows for it. Therefore I can't see that connecting your AC88U to it with more than one Ethernet cable (regardless of how you configure it) would provide any benefit. But I don't know what you mean by "run my ac88u as passthrough", are you using the Arris and Asus as a two separate routers or not?

Given the potential problems with getting Dual-WAN to work reliably under normal circumstances I can only see this kind of setup as a negative.

From the information I've found on the internet about this device there's nothing to suggest it's capable of more than 1Gbps of throughput even if your ISP plan allows for it. Therefore I can't see that connecting your AC88U to it with more than one Ethernet cable (regardless of how you configure it) would provide any benefit. But I don't know what you mean by "run my ac88u as passthrough", are you using the Arris and Asus as a two separate routers or not?

Given the potential problems with getting Dual-WAN to work reliably under normal circumstances I can only see this kind of setup as a negative.

I am using the Arris as a modem only, and the Asus for routing functions. So the Asus passes through direct to static IP on ATT's backend. Basically a bridge, I guess ATT just calls it different inside their setup options.

So I guess the only way to really get the dual wan or link aggregation benefits are to run two unique fiber lines and then use modem which supports, or get two individual modems then use 1 WAN & 1 assigned LAN (into router) to take advantage of the additional throughput?

I am using the Arris as a modem only, and the Asus for routing functions. So the Asus passes through direct to static IP on ATT's backend. Basically a bridge, I guess ATT just calls it different inside their setup options.
OK I see. I think most people would say it's the Arris that is in passthrough (aka bridge) mode not the Asus.

So I guess the only way to really get the dual wan or link aggregation benefits are to run two unique fiber lines and then use modem which supports, or get two individual modems then use 1 WAN & 1 assigned LAN (into router) to take advantage of the additional throughput?
I think there are some ISPs that can supply more 1Gb over a single connection if you use a specific cable modem and link aggregation. Otherwise yes, you'd need two separate internet feeds.

I already had the RT-AC88U when I upgraded to Virgin Media's 1Gb service. (Not a dual WAN version) Even using Ethernet, it could not deliver, having a WAN to LAN throughput barely over 800Mb. It delivered downstream speeds of <700Mb. On recommendation, I switched to an RT-AX11000. This has ample WAN to LAN throughput as well as dual WAN, if I were to need it. I max at 948Mb downstream. If Virgin Media's Hub 4 allowed port aggregation I would be able to access the full bandwidth of 1.2Gb, but it doesn't.