What's new

Dual WAN / 3G/4G Celluar Failover with DDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rascal22

New Around Here
Trying to configure an off-site network which I primarily need to access remotely (file server, video stream, etc). There would be no more than 2 or 3 devices on the LAN. Problem is, given the location, the DSL provider can be unreliable, so I'm looking at 3G/4G failover / dual-wan options. Given that there would be two dynamic IP addresses assigned, the router would need to support setting up DDNS for each WAN IP. If it turns out the 3G/4G connection is reliable enough, we may switch to that, but it would take a period of experimentation. Therefore, we'd like to be able to switch between the connections not only automatically via load balancing or failover algorithm, but also manually, via remote administration.

From what I've seen, I should be looking for either a "dual-wan" router, or a router with 3G/4G failover support via USB dongle. My concern is that a lot of the "dual-wan" routers don't seem to have USB input. And, either the dual-wan routers or 3G/4G failover supporting routers may not allow configuring DDNS for both IPs. (For example, the Asus AC66U appears to have 3G/4G failover support, but doesn't appear to support setting up DDNS for both IPs.)

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited:
The only one I know of off the top of my head was one I found out about two days ago--Cisco RV125. I think this one meets all your qualifications, although I'm not completely sure about the DDNS. Check it out and let me know what you find out.