What's new

Dual Wan Broken ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ManmohanGill

New Around Here
Hello, I'm new here, I have an 1 + 1 GBPS Internet Plan and would need some help in figuring out this.

Basically My ONT Has 2 Ports, which Port 1 and Port 2 each of it has 1 GBPS Internet Speed now, What I did was I connected Port 1 and Port 2 to LAN 1 and 2.5 GBPS LAN Port.

And Activated Dual WAN Mode on my Asus Router

Did Basic 3 : 1 eventually everything was fine and noticed that my network stopped working and my wireless gets disconnected I have wait like a few minutes before things are back up

I was reading something about this an Asus Router issue ?

Basically I want get max speed for WiFi 6, 1.7GBPS - 2GBPS without dual wan disconnecting and broken connection

Sorry if some of this don't make sense, I'm new to this and hope to resolve this

Welcome to the forums @ManmohanGill.

Yes, your post is tough to follow.

Use the Better Search option (top of page) for more information.

My guess is you may find the following script useful.

Note that you won't get a 'max speed' of 1.7Gbps - 2Gbps when using the 1Gbps connection, of course.

And, are you sure you are paying for 2x 1Gbps connections from the same ISP? Usually, most ISPs only provide one active port on their ONT.

Yes I'm paying for 2 x 1 GBPS and I want to try to achieve max 2 GBPS Connection via WiFi 6 5Ghz I'm using AX-11000.

I have 2 ONT Port Activated

I did an test using load balancer as explained above but it's unstable ? Does Load Balance works in such a way or this is an Asus Router Issue?

Is your ONT providing two separate internet feeds, each with a different IP address and subnet? Or is it providing two connections to a single internet feed that can be used with link aggregation? If it's the latter you need to configure both the ONT and the router for link aggregation not dual WAN.

Last edited:
It is an Separate Internet Connection it is call 1 + 1 GBPS (2 GBPS)

So there are 2 ONT Ports which has 1 GBPS Each

Link Aggression don't Work I think we need some 802.11ad for that right correct me if I'm wrong

Basically I want get max speed for WiFi 6, 1.7GBPS - 2GBPS without dual wan disconnecting and broken connection

With 2 separate ISP lines -> Dual WAN in load balancing won't result in 2x speeds and it has issues in Asuswrt anyway.
With 1 ISP and 2 LAN ports -> WAN Aggregation is the option to try, but only if the modem supports LACP-IEEE 802.3ad.

You're not getting anywhere near 2Gbps throughput on Wi-Fi. You may eventually see a link speed of 2400Mbps @160MHz, if it works at all.

You have to set some more realistic expectations with this home router.

With 2 separate ISP lines -> Dual WAN in load balancing won't result in 2x speeds and it has issues in Asuswrt anyway.
With 1 ISP and 2 LAN ports -> WAN Aggregation is the option to try, but only if the modem supports LACP-IEEE 802.3ad.

You're not getting anywhere near 2Gbps throughput on Wi-Fi. You may eventually see a link speed of 2400Mbps @160MHz, if it works at all.

You have to set some more realistic expectations with this home router.
I was waiting for your reply you seems very knowledge about this

Yes I hear asuswrt has issue with its dual load balancing it keep disconnecting and sometimes take time to load, I have no clue about it and thought it work as intended until I read thread about it is broken ?

For the modem I don't think we have LACP-IEEE 802.3ad supported

Is there anyway around this basically I want my speed to above 1 GBPS using WiFi 6 as I'm paying for it.

Please let me know what I can do about it

With 2x 1Gbps connections you need an ISP with the ability to bond those connections and present them to the router of your choice as one.

Without that, there is nothing you can do. Only with more than a single client will the router (any router) offer more than 1Gbps max to any single client device.

I don't think ISP will do that to allow in the first place

I'm trying to understand if load balancing if suppose to work the way it should as describe above, or asus Router has some issue on this

And secondly I'm asking if there any other way around this without the need to use asus load balancing.

As some of you to know Asus has 2.5G LAN/WAN Port.

Please let me know what I can do about it

Nothing much with this router. Asus has some features good enough for advertising purposes. Dual WAN is one of them. A cheap $60 ER605 router will do multi-WAN load balancing and fail back/over much better. Keep in mind though no single connection can take advantage of both ISPs. If you run speedtest for example, it will go through one of your connections and still show up to 940Mbps (Gigabit Ethernet). Multi connection torrents may take advantage, eventually. My advice - don't waste your money and just cancel one of the ISP lines. You can't get 2Gbps over Wi-Fi. You'll be lucky to see 1Gbps. Most clients are 2-stream - AX with max link speeds 1200Mbps, AC with 866Mbps. This is about 800Mbps throughput for AX and 550Mbps for AC in close to ideal conditions. If you rely on 160MHz wide channel - it may or may not work. Not all AX clients are 160MHz capable either.

I'm still not very convinced you have two separate ISP lines. Are you getting two separate external IP addresses for the two WAN ports?

Your current understanding is incorrect.

A single client device cannot take advantage of 2 separate 1Gbps WAN connections. At least, not without those WAN connections Bonded at the ISP level and presented to the client device on a continuous connection (from ISP to the client) on greater than 1GbE ports (or 160MHz width WiFi, at close range).

Hi Tech9

So if I understand what you are saying that it impossible to achieve or make use of the 1 + 1 GBPS that ISP has offer ?

And the asus router dual wan is suppose to work as intended and it suppose to fail and connect back ? Is this how dual wan works in general cause seems like it is more Asus is broken over here...

Asus dual wan isn't broken. It works for many, many people. And there is even a script that makes it work better right here on the forums too.

Your understanding/need of how you want it to work is what is incorrect here.

The issue is that 2x 1Gbps WAN sources is different from a 2Gbps ISP connection.

Well yeah

I agree but so I guess there is nothing much can be done to fix this ?

If you point me to the script if possible cause I have been scratching my head over here

I have attached an screenshot of what I was able to get from WAN and 2.5GBPS but sadly it is very unstable I think this how dual balancing works?

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_110520.jpg
    IMG_20220909_110520.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 54
So if I understand what you are saying that it impossible to achieve or make use of the 1 + 1 GBPS that ISP has offer ?

I have no idea what this ISP is offering. You can't bond two 1Gbps connections into one 2Gbps on your side.

seems like it is more Asus is broken over here...

Look here how many Asus routers I have tested. None can do Dual WAN properly, on any firmware. It's just broken for years in Asuswrt. People who say it's working just have never seen proper multi-WAN operation. I have 3 business places with dual ISPs. Cisco RV routers was my previous equipment, Netgate appliances is my current. Asus routers are toys the moment you get outside of common home use tasks. I purchased one AX86U just to see what it has to offer. The same toy like the others, just with AX radio on it. I'm going to donate it like the others and stop wasting my time.

Well so how does dual wan is suppose to work properly ain't there not suppose to be any downtime ?

If this the cause would be able to suggest an workaround for this ?

Use Better Search.

See the threads from @Ranger802004.

The script will still not get you want you want. Read my previous posts; the ISP equipment needs to Bond the connections for you first. There is nothing you can do on your end (to get faster speeds for a single client).

I can say while developing my script, Load Balance Mode when properly working (Using my Script), it will combine the 2 ISPs and achieve total bandwidth. I have a 1Gbps Primary WAN and 100Mbps Backup WAN and when running speed tests I would be achieve 1040-1070Mbps which is about the most I would get with both combined. That was with a 9:1 ratio configured, the problem with Load Balance Mode without my script is the stock firmware doesn't properly apply the fwmark rules in IPTables Mangle Rules so even if the traffic is being marked when egressing out of your network, the ingress traffic is not properly marked because of missing rules so sessions are broken. I resolved this issue with my script.

I have seen an indicated 1.4Gbps from a single WAN Fibre connection too for a few seconds though (fast.com, speedtest.net, etc.). From nominal 1Gbps symmetrical paid-for speeds.

I don't believe those speeds are achievable/sustainable to a single remote server from a single client though. Maybe I'm wrong.

I have seen an indicated 1.4Gbps from a single WAN Fibre connection too for a few seconds though (fast.com, speedtest.net, etc.). From nominal 1Gbps symmetrical paid-for speeds.

I don't believe those speeds are achievable/sustainable to a single remote server from a single client though. Maybe I'm wrong.
My 1Gbps is physically limited by link speed, by itself I can never get over about 940Mbps (Overhead)...it's definitely combining the 2 in Load Balance Mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!