What's new

Dual WAN using Xfinity Wifi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Christopher Phillips

New Around Here
I have an Asus RT-AC86U running Asuwrt-Merlin. I'm bumping up against my data cap for Xfinity but don't want to spend an extra $25 a month to pay them for unlimited data ($10 more a month plus a mandatory modem rental of $15.)

I live in a townhome community and have great access to Xfinity's public wifi hotspots that I can connect to and would like to set that up as my secondary WAN to do load balancing. However I'm unclear on how I actually get my router to connect to a wireless network for WAN. I'm guessing I need to use another device and attach it via ethernet to my router and then share its wifi connection?

I have a server running Unraid with a wifi card installed but from what I can tell, there's not a whole lot of options to get wifi working with Unraid.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

Dual WAN seems to be working for some folks.

I‘m guessing you’d need to do a Xfinity USB modem however and direct to Xfinity‘s wireless phone signal not one of their wifi hotspots.

You can tether and android phone too.

Last edited:
Dual WAN seems to be working for some folks.

I‘m guessing you’d need to do a Xfinity USB modem however and direct to Xfinity‘s wireless phone signal not one of their wifi hotspots.

You can tether and android phone too.

What I've tried doing is using my windows desktop's second NIC and a wireless Addon card, connecting to XFINITY wifi, bridging them together and then plugging in a network cable from the 2nd nic into one of the lan ports on my router. Then set up dual WAN and specified that LAN port as the source of the secondary WAN. Getting an error:

Secondary WAN:
Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly.

So will need to try to troubleshoot that.

There are inexpensive travel routers that do just that (in WISP mode) - convert WiFi to wired signal that you can use on a second WAN port on your router.

Search terms "travel router WISP".

There are inexpensive travel routers that do just that (in WISP mode) - convert WiFi to wired signal that you can use on a second WAN port on your router.

Search terms "travel router WISP".

This is the solution I would recommend. I have had success using GL-iNet routers with xfinity wifi.