What's new

Dual wan with Single Modem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

akb

Hey so i am bored at home during quarantine so i have been playing around with my network. I discovered something which is interesting and I need someone's view/validation on it.

I have Comcast and lease their xb6 modem, soon to be xb7, because of the free unlimited data.
I can not use bridge mode because there is a bug, or "bug", with Comcast modems where the speeds are throttled from 1000/35 to 650/35.

The xb6 has two LAN ports, and both ports are in DMZ. I connected them to my ac88u as dual wan load balance 1:1.

So the interesting this is everything is working, and actually working too well. I get more than 940ish mbit total now across two devices since Comcast plan always has some overhead since the 1000/35 plan can reach as high as 1200/50 when used with the xb7 which has a dedicated 2.5g port.

It looks like I am actually getting 1200/50 with my dual wan 1g to xb6. Does this seem right or are the numbers just faked/incorrectly showing?

This leads to my second question, when i do get a the xb7, i was planning on paying big dollars for the Asus router which has the +2.5g ports. Since I am not going to ever get the full 2.5g only 1200/50 from Comcast, can i just keep doing my hack?

Just keep doing your hack. But don't believe the numbers its showing. :)

Just keep doing your hack. But don't believe the numbers its showing. :)
Why would this not work, that is why i am asking because I do not believe it, but numbers are proving me wrong.

facts that i know.
my Comcast 1000/35 plan can hit 1200/50 if using 2.5g port.
My router can have two wan ports, if i set wan route rule for one PC for each port and run a speed test within infinite time, both boxes hit ~600/25mbit Meaning if i add those together its 1200/50. I am using the OS's rx/tx for the numbers as well as the speed test.

Is there anything i can test to prove this wrong please share, that is the point.

Why would this not work, that is why i am asking because I do not believe it, but numbers are proving me wrong.

facts that i know.
my Comcast 1000/35 plan can hit 1200/50 if using 2.5g port.
My router can have two wan ports, if i set wan route rule for one PC for each port and run a speed test within infinite time, both boxes hit ~600/25mbit Meaning if i add those together its 1200/50. I am using the OS's rx/tx for the numbers as well as the speed test.

Is there anything i can test to prove this wrong please share, that is the point.

You are not wrong about speed, what you are seeing is raw speed which is coming out of modem being split in two to create multiple session, since you choose 1:1 in router setting. So it goes like this you start test on a device it create one session and you get 600/25 and second session on another device give you 600/25 and third session goes back to first one.

Assuming 100 session was created, one connection will handle 1,3,5,7,9... other one will handle 2,4,6,8,10... This is actually one of the the way to overcome gigabit Ethernet limit, by splitting between multiple session.

If you check your comcast modem dhcp lease table you will see asus router has two lease, one for each interference.

Read this Asus FAQ, especially load balancing for more information
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1011719/

Last edited:
You are not wrong about speed, what you are seeing is raw speed which is coming out of modem being split in two to create multiple session, since you choose 1:1 in router setting. So it goes like this you start test on a device it create one session and you get 600/25 and second session on another device give you 600/25 and third session goes back to one

If you check your comcast modem dhcp lease table you will see asus router has two lease, one for each interference.

Read this Asus FAQ, especially load balancing for more information
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1011719/

so to confirm I am actually getting 1200/50 when split between dual wans? Is that your point, sorry it was not obvious to me.

so to confirm I am actually getting 1200/50 when split between dual wans? Is that your point, sorry it was not obvious to me.

Correct, since gigabit ethernet connect is limit actual usable throughput to 940, by using second pair you are able to use extra bandwidths isp is providing you. So yes that is correct, you isp is indeed providing with 1200/50 line rate. When you ran test you were able to confirm it as well 600/25 on each device and two test together giving you 1200/50.

I can't verify that ATM, but I remember Dual WAN with Load Balancing disables AiProtection and Parental Controls. @akb ?

I can't verify that ATM, but I remember Dual WAN with Load Balancing disables AiProtection and Parental Controls. @akb ?

I am ok without AIprotection and seems like Comcast has their own version of it running on the XB6. But it indeed was turned off.

Correct, since gigabit ethernet connect is limit actual usable throughput to 940, by using second pair you are able to use extra bandwidths isp is providing you. So yes that is correct, you isp is indeed providing with 1200/50 line rate. When you ran test you were able to confirm it as well 600/25 on each device and two test together giving you 1200/50.

Cool, kind of wish i did this sooner another 260mbit of internet is what some households even have as their full speed.

But it indeed was turned off.

Aha! Not that old. I still remember things. :D
Interesting WAN Aggregation workaround. It works only with parallel requests as a limitation. I remember other things too. Split external IP requests issues. You solved this without knowing. Your 2 connections have different internal IPs, but one external. I really enjoy the thread. :)

With the asymmetrical speeds , I'm assuming this is cable service? :)

While the total may hit 1.2Gbps, no one client will be able to use that. Instead it will use one connection or the other, up to 600/25 Mbps d/u.

So, the raw numbers are not to be believed, afaik. :)

With the asymmetrical speeds , I'm assuming this is cable service? :)

While the total may hit 1.2Gbps, no one client will be able to use that. Instead it will use one connection or the other, up to 600/25 Mbps d/u.

So, the raw numbers are not to be believed, afaik. :)
correct highest Comcast cable docsis 3.1 plan is 1000/35, and its known to always go a tad bit higher regardless of which plan you pick. Also, yes this is why i mention i need two devices to go over the 940 limit as each device is limited to 940 regardless 1g links across the board.

So you're trading 340+Mbps on a single device for up to 260Mbps in total. :)

Not a good trade in my books. :):)

Instead it will use one connection or the other, up to 600/25 Mbps d/u.

No. 600/25 simultaneously. 940/35 separately. In theory.
I'm confused about 35 up. Gigabit LAN is not limiting anything here. If the service is really 1200/50, why it's 1000/35 with one cable and not 1000/50? Something is not right with the numbers. :confused:

@K-2SO not to a single connection/client. :)

No. 600/25 simultaneously. 940/35 separately. In theory.
I'm confused about 35 up. Gigabit LAN is not limiting anything here. If the service is really 1200/50, why it's 1000/35 with one cable and not 1000/50? Something is not right with the numbers. :confused:

yeah i noticed i said that but i think i should have always excluded the upload, its max 50, regardless of dual wan.

Seems like owning comcasts xb6 is a high probability for others, i hope someone else can confirm this. This basically will extend the life of my ac88u which was going to be replaced once i got the 2.5g wan port from Comcast. I guess i don't need to spend the 350ish bucks now :) good stuff

A single client can only communicate over one connection/IP. Unless the modem aggregates the two IPs, the effective speed to a single client is worse. :)

The router can't do that magic trick. :)