What's new

ECO modus possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Freeman

New Around Here
Hi,

I was wondering if there's an "ECO modus" possible with this firmware, so We don't have to buy something like this: https://www.jrseco.com/p/firmware-full-eco-jrs-eco-100-wifi/

in short:
The unique JRS Eco 100 firmware, running on one of the fastest Asus routers, enables a Full Eco standby mode with 0% electromagnetic emission when no wifi devices are connected.

The router switches its wireless signal back on immediately when you enable the wifi on your wireless device or open the list of available networks.

Even when wireless is active, it has an up to 90% reduced pulse frequency, as in the previous generation JRS Eco routers.

• Wireless scheduler.
  • Fine adjustment of range with ten steps.
  • Wireless on/off button (RT-AC68U model only).
  • No loss of speed, stability or range compared to ordinary wifi routers. AC 1900 with 400 Mbps+ real measured speed (Speedtest.net).
The JRS Eco firmware is an extension of the Asus firmware and you retain full functionality.

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

I was wondering if there's an "ECO modus" possible with this firmware, so We don't have to buy something like this: https://www.jrseco.com/p/firmware-full-eco-jrs-eco-100-wifi/

in short:
Thank you in advance!

In terms of reducing the beacon activity 90%, wouldn’t setting Beacon Interval in Wireless->Professional to 1000 accomplish the same thing?

Related:

I wondered if this was a genuine enquiry or spam being dumped on the forum.

Either way the "product" in questions is BS
I'm looking to get my wireless setup with less "unneccessary" radiation (when not needed) and less interference all together. So I'm wondering what's the best possibility to achieve this since configuration is not always possible from what I understand.
To be fair, I thought such a setting should be standard since this would most likely mean less interference with other signals and all (neighbors, devices and such). But again, haven't found a solution besides an overpriced firmware which should be just a standard thing I assume. I had hopes this was added in the firmware somehow, hence my question.

technically there is a Wi-Fi ECO Mode that is accessible from the Asus mobile app, it decreases the WiFI Power and Data Rate to save power, and as mentioned above if in the professional settings you can tune and tweak all settings if you know what you are doing.

But again, haven't found a solution besides an overpriced firmware which should be just a standard thing I assume. I had hopes this was added in the firmware somehow, hence my question.

The overpriced firmware is nonsense , the ASUS WiFi components are closed source so nobody can alter that code in any way.

Try the ASUS app or as suggested the beacon setting in the WiFi professional section.

The overpriced firmware is nonsense , the ASUS WiFi components are closed source so nobody can alter that code in any way.

Try the ASUS app or as suggested the beacon setting in the WiFi professional section.
Thanks.
I was thinking the same thing (even with breaking EULA and all). That's why I wanted to double check here.
Besides, Is this an ASUS only tweak or might others like TP-link or so get the same results as my current router doesn't offer such settings.

The ASUS router will have to do as an access point in a little room in the garden where the WiFi is unreachable from the house, hence the eco-mode I'm after.
I might end up replacing WiFi from the ISP's router and make it more ECO-friendly alltogether: A decent signal when needed and no signal when not in use. No idea why this isn't a standard.

Any advice on what router to get for this purpose? Thanks once again!

Any advice on what router to get for this purpose?

Eco/PowerSave mode main goal is lowering APs power consumption. Routers/APs in Eco/PowerSave mode reduce Tx power and some switch to 1x1 radio operation in order save power. You're more exposed to Wi-Fi radiation from the device you hold in your hands, not from the router/AP much further away. In most cases you're only going to reduce Wi-Fi performance. None of the existing radio frequency transmitters around you will reduce power anyway.

Eco/PowerSave mode main goal is lowering APs power consumption. Routers/APs in Eco/PowerSave mode reduce Tx power and some switch to 1x1 radio operation in order save power. You're more exposed to Wi-Fi radiation from the device you hold in your hands, not from the router/AP much further away. In most cases you're only going to reduce Wi-Fi performance. None of the existing radio frequency transmitters around you will reduce power anyway.
Thanks, but what about the 10 pulses/second a modem creates to seek for a client (even when no device is in use) or is this not the case then?
We might "sit" on the modem more or less, hence the idea of reducing things.

Actually, since we're covering this: isn't it better to have better WiFi which will result in less radiation (and battery) from devices that are connected?

Thanks, but what about the 10 pulses/second a modem creates to seek for a client (even when no device is in use) or is this not the case then?
We might "sit" on the modem more or less, hence the idea of reducing things.

Actually, since we're covering this: isn't it better to have better WiFi which will result in less radiation (and battery) from devices that are connected?
Please don't get sucked into this pseudoscience nonsense.

Thanks, but what about the 10 pulses/second a modem creates to seek for a client

Nothing. Marketing BS to scam people. None of the "pulses" exceed the preset Tx power. When an active client is connected to your router the "pulses" are in millions per second. Part of normal Wi-Fi communication.

In other words: best to go with a mesh system then and assume all is safe anyway? :)
No need to assume anything, it is safe. Make your decision on what best suits your needs, mesh, APs, repeaters, whatever. An additional access point with an Ethernet connection back to the main router is usually the best way to cover a WiFi dead spot.

Nothing. Marketing BS to scam people. None of the "pulses" exceed the preset Tx power. When an active client is connected to your router the "pulses" are in millions per second. Part of normal Wi-Fi communication.
Just to be clear, when experimenting with these things, there can be no harm done where signals are actually to be considered unsafe (without me knowing due to lack of knowledge)?
I might change a few things in the settings here and there in order to get decent reception and learn in the process. (which looks kind of fun).

Thanks for all the help. Appreciate it big time!

Best approach is what @ColinTaylor advised you - wired AP with, possibly with Tx power adjustment. You don't need to transmit Wi-Fi 50m across just to cover one room with a dead spot. Multiple centrally managed wired AP's work best and provide better roaming for wireless devices. Ubiquiti UniFi and TP-Link Omada are popular solutions. Both companies offer in-wall, ceiling mount and outdoor AP options optimized for different applications.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!