What's new

Edimax WAP1750 & CAP1200 Pro APs review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was in contact with an Edimax support engineer and can present you the solution to access the upper Bands on all Edimax Pro APs.
1. Install newest Firmware on your CAP1200/WAP1750 (should also work on newer Models (OAP1750, CAP1750))
2. Login to your AP
3. Change URL to http://<ip of AP>/engineer.html
4. Login with User: engineer Password: engineerpwd
5. Activate Band 2 + 3
6. Profit!

Awesome, that appears to work. Thanks for sharing.

I've seen that you can enable engineer mode but can't see what effect that has.

There is also the CE Adaptive mode. Not tried that yet but maybe it forces CE Adaptive on? Still not quite sure what this feature does.

Channels higher than 36-48 which require DFS (I think channels 50-165).
Very good if you have multiple APs, so they can use non-overlapping channels. (Because a single 802.11ac AP uses all the channels 36-48 for 160MHz bandwidth).

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize the upper bands were locked out by default. Once enabled, channel access should comply with DFS regional restrictions.

In large multi-AP installations, it is common to restrict 5 GHz to 20 or 40 MHz bandwidth so that reasonable channel planning can be done.

The CAP1200 and WAP1750 which are delivered with the newer firmware should have enabled Bands 2 + 3 from the factory.

In large multi-AP installations, it is common to restrict 5 GHz to 20 or 40 MHz bandwidth so that reasonable channel planning can be done.

There's much benefit to deploying VHT40 compared to HT40, and the 11n clients seem to work very well in the 5GHz realm - Cisco had a good write up that, I'll try to chase down a public link to share.

New firmware released (1.4.0)!
NMS mode was improved
Is the new firmware any good? Major improvements or just minor?

I read the release note but it doesn't say that much has changed.

I noticed that the edimax APC 500 now supports 128 WAPs

Last edited:
Does anyone use an Edimax Pro AP in Self AP Management Mode (AP Controller + AP itself managed by controller)?
When I enable it it seems to be stuck in a reboot loop until I disable this mode.

I use the AP in self management mode. I'm still on 1.3.13. if you're now using 1.4 and the feature doesn't work then I'll stay where I am for now.

Does anyone use an Edimax Pro AP in Self AP Management Mode (AP Controller + AP itself managed by controller)?
When I enable it it seems to be stuck in a reboot loop until I disable this mode.
Can you confirm which firmware you are using when the Self Management mode fails with a reboot loop please?

WAP1750 Firmware version 1.6.0 Release Note
New Features
- [NMS] Support AC handover
- Support 802.11r and 802.11k function
Modification
- [NMS] Improve captive portal performance and UI.
- [NMS] Modify Guest Network IP Filtering.
- [NMS] Improve data transmission and apply time
Fixed
- Fixed Guest Portal login page display issue
- Fixed Guest Portal authentication issue that there is no drop-down menu on "Authentication User
Group".
- Fixed Guest Portal redirect issue

One issue I had coming from 1.3.13 to 1.6.0 was that my login password reset to edimax default of 1234. That took me 10 attempts to get in before I googled the default

A good thing is that you can now change all the passwords via NMS now.

Memory consumption appears higher. Sits at 70%. I think it was about 60% before. CPU could be higher too maybe. Not that I'm bothered. So long as they keep adding features for roaming. Now we just need 802.11v.

Edit, just cycled the power off and back on for the controller AP and memory is back to 58%.

Last edited:
WAP1750 Firmware version 1.7.1 Release Note
New Features
- Add new style NMS 802.11r settings.
- Add Active Client kick out function.
- Add “IP Address” information of Active Client
- Add Signal strength shown from “%” to “dBm”
- Add NMS 802.11 k/r settings.
- Add traffic shaping by SSID on NMS/Controller
- Add WEB multiple login
- Add auto daylight saving for NMS AP time
- Add NMS Google map
- Add CB(Client Bridge) mode
- Add guest accounts to 256
- Disable the limitation: When AP number > 8, disable Radio of AC.
Fixed
- Fix 5G basic UI channel display issue
- Fix QCA 2.4G SSID issue when setting fix channel.
- Fix NMS 802.11r 2.4G MAC setting issue
- Fix 5G site survey UI display issue.
- Fix the potential risk of NMS 802.11r setting CGI.
- Fix UI issue for new style NMS 802.11r settings.
- Fix Roaming client table issue.
- Fix WPS Hardware button doesn't work issue.
- Fix AP mode 802.11r warning message.
- Fix NMS 802.11r setting issue.

New feature SMART ROAM with roaming groups, mobility domains, over the distribution system roam. plenty of other stuff too.

the amped apr 175p pro series is a clone of this and the FCCID says edimax made thier's as well... LOL. I tested it and have it on hand as well right now.

Can you load the EdiMAX WAP1750 firmware on the Amped Wireless system?

Tim H,
On the latest firmware these WAPs now support SMART ROAM. Can you ask your contact for information of what this is please? A doc I found states that it is for 11r but I've never come across a need to set MAC addresses for 11r before. Could this be part of a 11v feature?

It now supports MOBILITY DOMAINS and OVER THE DS key exchange. I belive this implements all the 11r feature set - am I wrong?

So after those settings, what does SMART HANDOVER do? is it a method to band steer?

Thanks

Last edited:
n00b here, but I do have the CAP/WAP1750 and the accompanying APC500, and from what I see in the menus, the MAC addresses are your other APs in the manages group, made a screen cap of the page, sorry had to edit out a few things but you can see what I mean hopefully
Screenshot_from_2017-10-06_17-48-16.jpg

Thanks desperado.
In the FAQ section for apc on their website is a document for setting this up. I think it also details the mobility domain to. But you can guess that setup by reading a Cisco doc on 11r. That bit is fairly easy.

I've not found any description of setting Mac address for 11r but this implementation appears to need it. Once done, FT attribute is broadcast. I guess there is some proprietary work here that enables you to help steer clients. How does this work? I ask this question because 11r does not need MAC addresses for a roam. How it works is that the client requests a roam to another AP and the APs coordinate WPA2-PSK key exchange and Radius if used. Reducing roam time because a full authentication cycle is bypassed. (Over the air - client signals to new AP directly, over the DS - client asks current AP to contact me AP and perform handshake)

Their doc states to add the main Mac as listed on the screen you showed for the nearest 5 APs. Now that sounds like quite good feature.

What is not clear is if the 5GHz Mac addresses need to be added also. In reality, the software should be able to work them out. But, if these Mac addresses are part of 11v and the IE data pages (whatever they're called) only list the MACs you type in - then that means only 2.4G intelligent roaming.

So....... What I want clearing up is - do I have to type in 5G MACs also?

Desperado,
What kind of roam time do you get?

Without r I'm getting about 100ms
With r I get either 10ms, normal ping time or 100ms. It's not consistent. Though I've not done much testing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!