What's new

eero Announces Its Next Generation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Didn’t see much discussion about the Eero 2nd gen so I thought I’d make a thread. Seems to be available in stores this week and reviews are tickling out but none of the reviews have good testing methodology.

The main unit has been upgraded to include a 2nd set of 5ghz radios making it tri band and it gains MU-MIMO capability. They also sell a beacon unit now which is a 2x2 unit without an Ethernet port.

Doesn't seem to be as desperate as the quote above suggests - eero has done well enough to afford development of a Gen2 product, and their Gen1 products weren't that bad... Gen2 perhaps fills some gaps and opportunities for improvement - and that compatibility is present with Gen1, one should be able to do a soft-roll rather than a rip-replace.

that being said - Orbi has seen a fair amount of success - better than most other traditional vendors in the multi-point wireless space, but these are different approaches...

Orbi is hub/spoke - and a pragmatic approach - and it works.

eero is a true mesh - and it works - and there's going to be places where Orbi might work better, but there's going to be places where eero is the better answer.

Orbi is also junk. I had Orbi since it was released for 6 months, and had nothing but firmware issues with it and internet connection/wifi drops. I still watch the forums after a year later they are still having the same issues which netgear support still has not fixed. Many have left Orbi including myself and went with EERO. I had the GEN 1 EERO, and it was great. Some small issues, but nothing bad. It was stable, speeds were decent. Nothing like Orbi speeds. Now with Gen 2 which I upgraded too the Pro system, speeds are just as fast if not faster than Orbi. Stable connection, full speed of internet, and great wifi signal throughout my large 1 story 1 acre house/lot.

Orbi is also junk. I had Orbi since it was released for 6 months, and had nothing but firmware issues with it and internet connection/wifi drops. I still watch the forums after a year later they are still having the same issues which netgear support still has not fixed. Many have left Orbi including myself and went with EERO. I had the GEN 1 EERO, and it was great. Some small issues, but nothing bad. It was stable, speeds were decent. Nothing like Orbi speeds. Now with Gen 2 which I upgraded too the Pro system, speeds are just as fast if not faster than Orbi. Stable connection, full speed of internet, and great wifi signal throughout my large 1 story 1 acre house/lot.

I agree about your Orbi assessment. It was ok at first but all the firmware problems over time drove me nuts. Disconnects and packet loss all over the place. I was a huge participant in the netgear forums for this providing feedback and all but I gave up eventually. I have been considering the eero system and am currently testing a pair of Google OnHub's in a mesh setup, not the new Google Wifi but 2 x Asus AC1900 OnHub routers in a Mesh (yes they can be configured this way). They're about 1/2 the speed of the Orbi in terms of in network performance but at least they're stable. The difference in speed I have noticed in my household is about 350-400 mbps (Orbi) vs 190-215 mbps (Onhub). The reason for this speed decline is the Orbi has that dedicated 5Ghz back haul and the Google OnHub/WiFi doesn't have this available.

I'm curious if anyone has done any in network tests on the new Eero 2nd generation, specifically the Pro system. If anything I would go for that but it would need to be 300+ mbps for me to justify the cost premium over the OnHub. The 2 x Asus OnHub's set me back around $240 for the set, which isn't bad. They are extremely simple but they work.

I just went to the eero pro gen 2 three router set yesterday and I must say my family and I are extremely happy with it. Amazing range the way I have the routers set up and we get our full ISP speed no matter which router we are connected to. This is truly the best wi-fi system my family and I have experienced. Having great signal and speed on my patio and pool area is a blessing.

From my understanding the eero gen 2 has wireless and wired backhaul. I reset my cell next to each router and all 3 give me 240Mbps down and 25Mbps up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!