What's new

Eero mesh vs tp link one mesh extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Randomw426

Occasional Visitor
I’m looking at the Eero mesh system and wondering what advantage if any it would have over my TP link archer ax21 router combined with my tp link re650 extender. Both my tp link router and extender are one mesh compatible and I’m wondering if the eero mesh is even considered an upgrade over what I’ve got already? thanks for the help

If what you already have works well for you - no need to change. Eero Pro is a system with dedicated backhaul radio. You have 2-band router and 2-band extender - the throughput to extender connected clients is 1/2 due to retransmission. Eero Pro doesn't have this problem. It's one of the best home "mesh" systems around implementing some more advanced technologies, but some users are not happy with limited control and forced auto updates.

There are different Eero systems. Which one?

If what you already have works well for you - no need to change. Eero Pro is a system with dedicated backhaul radio. You have 2-band router and 2-band extender - the throughput to extender connected clients is 1/2 due to retransmission. Eero Pro doesn't have this problem. It's one of the best home "mesh" systems around implementing some more advanced technologies, but some users are not happy with limited control and forced auto updates.

There are different Eero systems. Which one?
Thanks for the help, I was comparing to the base model eero 6 mesh system. Would that have the throughput issue? And I have 25mb internet now and it doesn’t lose any speed through the extender now but very soon 1gbps fiber is coming to my area and I want to future proof my setup

A lot of people also have concerns about privacy, that is how much info Amazon might acquire about your network and your internet habits. Don't take my word for it --- read eero's privacy notice for yourself, and pay attention to what they don't promise. Nowhere in there will you read "eero doesn't phone home". They promise to take good care of personally identifiable information such as your name and address ... but why in the world should your router know that in the first place? And even non "personally identifiable" information might not be something you want to share.

Indeed, but no one tells you key selling point firmware options require data sharing before you buy the router.

1gbps fiber is coming to my area

Do you need it? Better get 200/200 plan or similar available and continue using your setup. Otherwise you'll pay for new equipment and get better speedtest only as a result. The everyday user experience above 200Mbps is all the same. You'll have occasional faster downloads and higher monthly bill.

Do you need it? Better get 200/200 plan or similar available and continue using your setup. Otherwise you'll pay for new equipment and get better speedtest only as a result. The everyday user experience above 200Mbps is all the same. You'll have occasional faster downloads and higher monthly bill.
Well I may need it if I get the internet tv which could require the high speeds

Gaming requires low latency, not high bandwidth. It's your decision what service to order, but most folks accept Gigabit service on promotion for only $10 more and then spend $1000 in equipment in wrong future proofing ideas with home routers and in chasing speedtest for no good reason.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!