What's new

elastix and ac86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thodo

New Around Here
In the company that I am in, so far we did not have a router (just a ZTE modem-router) so everything was connected straight to that modem.

Now we have the following setup:
ZTE ZXHN H168N modem in bridge mode connected to VDSL line.
The above modem is also connected to the WAN port of the Asus RT-AC86U router (router is in wireless router mode)
All the devices are now connected to the Asus router.

Here comes the problem.
For the telephony we just have a plain PSTN line.
We also have an elastix VOIP server, connected to the PSTN line, and also its now connected to the router instead of the modem (previous setup).
The point is that when this change happened, telephony started some strange behavior (had to do a few restarts in order to make it work) and finally there is no tone on any of our VOIP phones.
Phones are connected to the VOIP server. They also have a static IP (DHCP is now handled by the router).

Please note that apart from the above, there are some more changes in the LAN network and more specific to the DHCPs and the internal IPs.

Extra note, there is no connection lan to lan (modem to router) as this cause multiple (every 1-2 minutes) restarts on the WAN IP, so we had VPN issues (router acts as a VPN server as well).
So if we want to connect to the modem we have to do it directly to the modem itself.

Are there any thoughts on the no-tone issue on our VOIP phones?

Thanks

In the company that I am in, so far we did not have a router (just a ZTE modem-router) so everything was connected straight to that modem.

Now we have the following setup:
ZTE ZXHN H168N modem in bridge mode connected to VDSL line.
The above modem is also connected to the WAN port of the Asus RT-AC86U router (router is in wireless router mode)
All the devices are now connected to the Asus router.

Here comes the problem.
For the telephony we just have a plain PSTN line.
We also have an elastix VOIP server, connected to the PSTN line, and also its now connected to the router instead of the modem (previous setup).
The point is that when this change happened, telephony started some strange behavior (had to do a few restarts in order to make it work) and finally there is no tone on any of our VOIP phones.
Phones are connected to the VOIP server. They also have a static IP (DHCP is now handled by the router).

Please note that apart from the above, there are some more changes in the LAN network and more specific to the DHCPs and the internal IPs.

Extra note, there is no connection lan to lan (modem to router) as this cause multiple (every 1-2 minutes) restarts on the WAN IP, so we had VPN issues (router acts as a VPN server as well).
So if we want to connect to the modem we have to do it directly to the modem itself.

Are there any thoughts on the no-tone issue on our VOIP phones?

Thanks

Maybe the IP phones have no tone because they see no working outbound call routes because the VoIP server is not connecting/registering either the PSTN line or SIP service through the new router. Or something similar. I would investigate the VoIP server operation... is it working properly on the LAN.

You might want to disable the WAN\NAT Passthrough\SIP Passthrough setting in the AC86U webUI. This has caused one-way audio for me in the past with ITSP SIP registration/service.

You might need to square away your IP addressing. When using the AC86U DHCP server, its IP Pool range set in the router should include its dynamically-assigned IPs and its manually-assigned IPs, both assigned by the router; but should excluded client-side static IPs you assign on each client such as each IP phone, if that's the case.

OE

... is it working properly on the LAN.

There is no tone on the phone, and the internal calls are not working. Is this what you refer to?

You might want to disable the WAN\NAT Passthrough\SIP Passthrough setting in the AC86U webUI. This has caused one-way audio for me in the past with ITSP SIP registration/service.

Will need to further check these in order to understand what you mean.
I am an engineer but have nothing to do with LAN networks (especially with voip/pbx etc). All I know about networking is more like a "hobby" of mine.

You might need to square away your IP addressing. When using the AC86U DHCP server, its IP Pool range set in the router should include its dynamically-assigned IPs and its manually-assigned IPs, both assigned by the router; but should excluded client-side static IPs you assign on each client such as each IP phone, if that's the case.

IP assignment was really badly configured for the whole network. It still needs some changes to be done (the only remaing is that the DHCP includes the phones' client-side IPs).
The reason that I did not change these so far was that I didnt want to mess with the phone extensions of each user, but I think that it has nothing to do with the IPs. So far the last three digits of the IP are configured as the phone extension. I didn't further check, but I tend to believe that it was set like that for convenience only.

Anyway, I will firstly set phone client-side IPs outside the DHCP and check if it corrects the problem. If problem persists, I will check the second point that you made.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

There is no tone on the phone, and the internal calls are not working. Is this what you refer to?

Will need to further check these in order to understand what you mean.
I am an engineer but have nothing to do with LAN networks (especially with voip/pbx etc). All I know about networking is more like a "hobby" of mine.

IP assignment was really badly configured for the whole network. It still needs some changes to be done (the only remaing is that the DHCP includes the phones' client-side IPs).
The reason that I did not change these so far was that I didnt want to mess with the phone extensions of each user, but I think that it has nothing to do with the IPs. So far the last three digits of the IP are configured as the phone extension. I didn't further check, but I tend to believe that it was set like that for convenience only.

Anyway, I will firstly set phone client-side IPs outside the DHCP and check if it corrects the problem. If problem persists, I will check the second point that you made.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I suggest you recruit someone who understand your network and VoIP system to check over the networking basics sooner than later since your phones are not working.

OE

It is not a big deal for us having the phone not working for some days. So I will further check this week and if I can't figure out what is going on, I will talk to my manager in order to call an expert.

Just for the record. It had nothing to do with the router, and hence irrelevant to snbforums.

Thanks