What's new

Skynet "Elvis has left the building ... "

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... I hope another defensive guy aint leaving his project. Is OP saying the forums would really archive his thread and not allow people to post to it? Suspect.

OP is stating a fact - @Adamm Skynet thread and indeed ALL Add-on Threads older than 6 months have been closed for further posts.

Many may well have missed the original thread which announced the site owner's intention - it was not posted within this sub-forum even though targeting the mega-threads within it - but instead was set in "General Discussions" here ... https://www.snbforums.com/threads/limiting-number-of-replies-in-a-thread.66955/

PLEASE NOTE - I am not wishing to cause this issue to be re-debated ... nor to create an opportunity for "rant sessions" ... I created this thread to draw attention to the apparent withdrawal of a highly valued member of this community - and I did so in the hopes that other senior members, especially those who are "Part of the Furniture" ... or indeed the site owner himself - may make an effort to prevail upon Adamm to return - even if with some compromise which both sides could live with.

OP is stating a fact - @Adamm Skynet thread and indeed ALL Add-on Threads older than 6 months have been closed for further posts.

Many may well have missed the original thread which announced the site owner's intention - it was not posted within this sub-forum even though targeting the mega-threads within it - but instead was set in "General Discussions" here ... https://www.snbforums.com/threads/limiting-number-of-replies-in-a-thread.66955/

PLEASE NOTE - I am not wishing to cause this issue to be re-debated ... nor to create an opportunity for "rant sessions" ... I created this thread to draw attention to the apparent withdrawal of a highly valued member of this community - and I did so in the hopes that other senior members, especially those who are "Part of the Furniture" ... or indeed the site owner himself - may make an effort to prevail upon Adamm to return - even if with some compromise which both sides could live with.
I saw it. Thought there would.be exceptions. Like the actual thread from the dev. strange decision on site owners part. When I Google a question the pages in the thread pop up. I don't read the whole thread or have to scroll through it. And I notice these devs reserve space when they add changes or updates to the initial feature descriptions.

HE acts like he is doing it for their benefit when saying it might get accidentally deleted. Very mafia like haha. Wouldn't that go for any topic? Might as well use github instead of the forums. I don't blame him he can probably take a hint.

I await my ban.

If skynet dies, i'll need to migrate to prosumer gear like the unifi dream machine pro or a dedicated pfsense box. Not looking forward to it. I had a juniper srx 20 with built in wifi at home at one point, more trouble for a home setting than it was worth.

I went the PFsense route and have no regrets. My RT-AC86U routers are now just APs in an AiMesh setup. Very stable and makes upgrading the Asus firmware very painless. I am running a vpn client, vpn server, Suricata and pfBlockerNG-devel.

I went the PFsense route
Same here. I do miss the more community feel we had when the addon threads were unified, it was more of an ongoing discussion. I keep hoping that it will stabilize into something like that again. Sorry if Adamm is out I'll miss "Halp. My favorite site isn't working.":)

I went the PFsense route and have no regrets. My RT-AC86U routers are now just APs in an AiMesh setup. Very stable and makes upgrading the Asus firmware very painless. I am running a vpn client, vpn server, Suricata and pfBlockerNG-devel.
The reason I came across Asuswrt-Merlin is - or was - the lack of certain features that I missed in pfsense and other similar products at the time.

Asuswrt-Merlin gives me the freedom to do things how I think best suited for my setup. Among the features I was looking for was ad-blocking, which you all now know as Diversion. I coded it how I wanted it to function and made it public and improved it over the years. Diversion is very stable and mature, I have not released an update since July 25, and the few coding errors since found are very minor. Diversion would continue to function as is for a very long time if I would stop supporting it now. It is highly configurable so that third party changes can be applied through its UI.

The same maturity and configurability applies to Skynet. It will coninue to work without updates for a long time.
Adamm being absent does not mean Skynet suddenly stopps working. His Github repo remains online indefinitely, that is what he said to me in a conversation we had. I cloned his repo to my Github just in case anyway and told him so, to be prepared should the worst outcome come true. amtm also is and will work no matter what happens.

The Skynet-Diversion symbiosis continues to function, despite one member being absent at this time.
His absence can be felt already, this forum lost a valuable member and contributor. Let's hope this changes in the (near) future.

The reason I came across Asuswrt-Merlin is - or was - the lack of certain features that I missed in pfsense and other similar products at the time.

Asuswrt-Merlin gives me the freedom to do things how I think best suited for my setup. Among the features I was looking for was ad-blocking, which you all now know as Diversion. I coded it how I wanted it to function and made it public and improved it over the years. Diversion is very stable and mature, I have not released an update since July 25, and the few coding errors since found are very minor. Diversion would continue to function as is for a very long time if I would stop supporting it now. It is highly configurable so that third party changes can be applied through its UI.

The same maturity and configurability applies to Skynet. It will coninue to work without updates for a long time.
Adamm being absent does not mean Skynet suddenly stopps working. His Github repo remains online indefinitely, that is what he said to me in a conversation we had. I cloned his repo to my Github just in case anyway and told him so, to be prepared should the worst outcome come true. amtm also is and will work no matter what happens.

The Skynet-Diversion symbiosis continues to function, despite one member being absent at this time.
His absence can be felt already, this forum lost a valuable member and contributor. Let's hope this changes in the (near) future.
Would this mean cake would not get future updates? I know he was involved in some of those releases for cake.

Would this mean cake would not get future updates? I know he was involved in some of those releases for cake.
My understanding is that Adamm stepped away from this board. This may mean that there will be future updates - or not. We will see. The lack of an acceptable platform to discuss and announce such activity makes me believe that we will not see any updates until this matter is solved.

I saw it. Thought there would.be exceptions. Like the actual thread from the dev. strange decision on site owners part. When I Google a question the pages in the thread pop up. I don't read the whole thread or have to scroll through it. And I notice these devs reserve space when they add changes or updates to the initial feature descriptions.

HE acts like he is doing it for their benefit when saying it might get accidentally deleted. Very mafia like haha. Wouldn't that go for any topic? Might as well use github instead of the forums. I don't blame him he can probably take a hint.

I await my ban.

As the site owner you have final say really, doesn't mean people can't vote with their feet though.

What are you using for your pfsense box? I found that anything less than an i5 nuc significantly reduced throughput.

What are you using for your pfsense box? I found that anything less than an i5 nuc significantly reduced throughput.

I am using this model with 8g ram and 128g ssd. Since I only have a 50/5 connection it works just fine.

I have an i5 desktop pc i was thinking of using. but was also thinking of getting an i3 qotom box. I only need 300MBs, what kind of throughput speeds are you talking with suricata on?

It must just be me, but Skynet, to me, seems of limited value unless you are hosting services on your network and need to block known "bad IPs". Otherwise, the default job of the inbound firewall is to drop unsolicited packets.

The outbound blocking can be useful, I suppose.

It is a shame to see @Adamm go, but we'll see if he returns in future. Considering he took the snbforums referral link off the Amazon links in his Skynet README, it seems very unlikely at this stage.

Disclaimer : I'm aware most of my scripts are glorified data visualisation scripts :D

The inbound blocking for game servers which don't play well is invaluable.
Take FIFA. I keep getting put on the Paris servers but i get bad delay after a certain time of day on those so I block the testing server so it won't place me on the Paris servers.

Hope adamm doesn't delete his presence on github.
For appreciation this month he gets 50% of the subs i am donating to the devs on this site.

I don't know Adamm from, well, Adam, but I would not expect him to destroy his opensource legacy just to spite Tim. If you pay attention, he made updates to Cake-QOS after November 1, so I assume if he feels like it, he will update Skynet at some point if it needs updating. He just may not feel inclined to post here about it. But amtm will tell you about it eventually.

I respect his peaceful protest against this site, but I'm not ready to make a martyr out of him just yet.

As the matter of fact I'm not a well-skilled pc user on networking,but I'm so impressed myself that I am using skynet such handy(actually I used to throw the problem but Adam solved it in a sec).
Pfsense just too much on me as I'm retarded on pc networking...So plz plz plz yell out if skynet revived somewhere.

As the site owner you have final say really, doesn't mean people can't vote with their feet though.

Same thing happened when the *router that shall not be named from a cell phone company* got everyone in a tizzy. For whatever reason, the real reason that the stuff got deleted (which in hindsight is clear as day) wasn't communicated, so everyone got angry. There is probably a similar MO in play here, but for whatever reason, it's not being made public.

Seems to me that all of this noise would be avoided with a little honesty.

I'll also await my ban/vacation.

I have an i5 desktop pc i was thinking of using. but was also thinking of getting an i3 qotom box. I only need 300MBs, what kind of throughput speeds are you talking with suricata on?

I have a 500/30 line and the low end nuc couldn't handle the throughput. I created a hyperv vm with lots of cores assigned to it and it did ok but don't really want to run it as a vm. Never got around to trying an i5 or i7 nuc though.

Status
Not open for further replies.