What's new

Skynet "Elvis has left the building ... "

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main advantage is that those forums would be under the direct control of the developers themselves.

No they won't. They will be under the control of Github. Good luck trying to reach out to them if you have to deal with a spammer/bot, or a troublesome user. And pray that Github doesn't discontinue them 6 months from now, like they did a few years back with download hosting. I used to host my downloads there, then they removed the feature, forcing me to move to Mediafire. They added the Release feature a few years later, but that was nowhere as flexible as the original download feature.

No they won't. They will be under the control of Github.
OK, I defer to your experience. I guess there could be similar problems anywhere. I am just sore that "Elvis" was run off from here, and I hope he finds somewhere more accommodating to his needs soon.

At this point, its no longer about common sense. I think it has become more a matter of pride. Once it hits this stage everyone will spend as much time as necessary to try and justify the decisions they've already made with little chance of a new middle ground.

No they won't. They will be under the control of Github. Good luck trying to reach out to them if you have to deal with a spammer/bot, or a troublesome user. And pray that Github doesn't discontinue them 6 months from now, like they did a few years back with download hosting. I used to host my downloads there, then they removed the feature, forcing me to move to Mediafire. They added the Release feature a few years later, but that was nowhere as flexible as the original download feature.
I agree with nlurker. You probably forgot more about this than I know. Probably a lot more than I could ever know.
But, could we not just post to a single thread the add on developer creates as in the past and start over in six months?
Or would that be "breaking the law"? But everybody would have to stick to topic and be consistent.

I agree with nlurker. You probably forgot more about this than I know. Probably a lot more than I could ever know.
But, could we not just post to a single thread the add on developer creates as in the past and start over in six months?
Or would that be "breaking the law"? But everybody would have to stick to topic and be consistent.
Dont think it's gonna work as you could see we had already given tons of constructive way in order to get the thing back on right track.And now,this section's became "dead water".

His account remains activated. He has chosen to not participate here.Yes. I suggested this to Adamm. He rejected this.

Full disclosure, I sent a private message to @thiggins and @RMerlin after a month away offering a very reasonable compromise that would suit all sides (despite being still heavily against said changes in the first place). The simple request was to archive all old posts from the Skynet thread to a new "Archive" thread so the original thread could continue to be used and the hundreds of places where it is linked over the internet and users bookmarks would still be relevant.

“Compromise”

His account remains activated. He has chosen to not participate here.Yes. I suggested this to Adamm. He rejected this.
Tim, the other most popular addon's developer @thelonelycoder also stated that he is no longer feeling like participating, so clearly this is not just a matter of one guy being difficult. And the fact that almost all of the users agree with them should tell you something.

You still have time to fix this before these guys move on for good and may no longer be interested in looking back.

I have to agree, whilst it's obviously the site owner's prerogative to run it as they wish, for the benefit of the community it would seem like the time to find an amicable compromise (Hhhmm I'm UK based, did someone mention Brexit?? o_O )

I don't fully understand the drivers for the change in the first place, but for me it feels like we are losing some of the magic dust that meant until very recently I spent time every day reading through the forums. It would be such a shame to lose it permanently.

One last time. The change is permanent. If you can't live with unlimited posts in a thread over a six month period, please move to another forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.