What's new

Enable web access from WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swhdash

New Around Here
I have had a policy for a long time to never open up administration of routers to the internet. I got a Google Wifi network a few years back which almost forced me to have WAN access on for administration...and it worked really well with no security issues (that I know of).
So, I'm back to an ASUS AX86U and see the ominous "Enable Web Access from WAN" complete with the ability to set a custom port, etc. Although this could be a fraught question - is Asus router security good enough to allow this? Remotely configuring from a phone app looks appealing...if secure.

Use a VPN for remote access.

The AX86U, and other Asus routers, have Instant Guard that makes access to your router from an iOS or Android device very simple. OpenVPN Server also works well (just change the default port). I have both enabled on my router.

The AX86U, and other Asus routers, have Instant Guard that makes access to your router from an iOS or Android device very simple. OpenVPN Server also works well (just change the default port). I have both enabled on my router.

The problem is, unless I'm misunderstanding something, even Instant Guard requires the "Enable Web Access From WAN" option to be turned on: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044340

I'd love a simple tutorial on setting up a VPN so that I can manage the parental controls on my RT-AX86U from outside my home network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!