What's new

Enableing 40Mhz on Intel4965, Help Test :)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tilhasbb

Regular Contributor
Enabled 40Mhz on Intel4965, Help Test :)

I want to enable 40mhz on my 4965AGN, I am convinced its a driver/firmware thing. If you can mod a videocard to think its a Quatro by just drivers, a network card shouldnt be more difficult :)

I looked on intel site and a new driver is out V12.2.0.0
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2753

I started comparing the options on the NETw5v32.INF file and i found something quite interesting

the difference between the 5xxx series and 4xxxx series is just one paragraph below... notice anything?

HKR, Ndi\params\ChannelWidth24, ParamDesc, 0, %CHANNELWIDTH24%
HKR, Ndi\params\ChannelWidth24, Type, 0, "enum"
HKR, Ndi\params\ChannelWidth24, Default, 0, "0"
HKR, Ndi\params\ChannelWidth24, Optional, 0, "0"
HKR, Ndi\params\ChannelWidth24\enum, "0", 0, %CHANNELWIDTH20ONLY%
HKR, Ndi\params\ChannelWidth24\enum, "1", 0, %CHANNELWIDTHAUTO%

So just copy pasted that on all the 4965 Variants.
Go to drive manager, properties on the 4965 and force to install this driver.

VOILA
802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4 Appears !! and its on 20Mhz, change that to AUTO !!

Anyone got an N router that does 40mhz on 2.4ghz? PLEASE test it :)

i've attached my edited INF file. So download your driver and replace this inf file (unzip the inf file out of it)

UPDATE. Here is the 32bit Driver.
Download and Extract File. Right Click My computer properties>Device Manager>Network Adapters> Right click properties on intel wireless 4965> Drivers Tab> Update Driver> Browse my computer for driver > Let me pick form a list of devices > Have Disk and point to the folder you extracted. OK > OK.
VOILA you have 802.11n Channel Width 2.4Ghz set on 20Mhz Only change to Auto.
DOES IT WORK? I am not sure.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...a36bb76f0d774fa266&bid=U0d6YkJsSWhvQUxIRGc9PQ

Attachments

• NETw5v32.zip
    35.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
What a great idea!

Can someone who is qualified (not me!) verify
(a) that this actually works, and
(b) provide more detail on how to actually do it (if it works)
Thnx!

I think this option you managed to add changes ChannelWidth24 key in registry. Old driver versions changes 3 keys: ChannelWidth24, ChannelWidth52 and ChannelWidth simultanuosly. The last driver changes only ChannelWidth52 key. I can't verify your solution because I have WinXP installed, but I tried to change ChannelWidth24 key. If I set it to 1, intel utility reports that wifi connected at 300 Mbs, but in a second reports again that wifi connected at 130 Mbs. So I think the same behavior should happen on Vista too.
It should be possible to crack it somehow...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!