What's new

Endless NTP Sync Failure

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reposting here form another one and apologize for duplication. Not sure what to do either. My AC87U won’t sync either. It is in a bridge mode and using 384.7. Rebooted several times after each server used. Time sync still does not work. Is still stuck on May 5th per system log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Therefore by process of elimination DNSCrypt is the likely culprit, maybe loading too soon. Can I delay it until NTP sync was successful? Can anyone suggest a solution?

Did you configure a fallback server when going through the dnscrypt setup wizard? It's required for services starting prior to starting DNSCrypt, like NTP. Manager will monitor whether NTP has synced, before launching DNSCrypt, so you can't start DNSCrypt before NTP has synced, as far as I'm aware.

Otherwise try running the DNSCrypt installer again and choose to setup from scratch.

The NTP daemon for Asuswrt-Merlin, which @Vexira linked above, isn't going to help, as it also needs to sync NTP, which is exactly what's going wrong.

the pool.ntp.org domain will not be resolved bt dnscrypt. yo can choose google dns or any else.
I don’t understand it but I’ll give this a try when I get a chance because it would be simple and less likely to break

I did and I set 1.1.1.1 during setup. Thanks I’ll try this again.

Edit: if I run the installer again and reinstall from scratch, do I need to erase the USB first? Is there anything I need to uninstall or do before I reinstall?
Did you configure a fallback server when going through the dnscrypt setup wizard? It's required for services starting prior to starting DNSCrypt, like NTP. Manager will monitor whether NTP has synced, before launching DNSCrypt, so you can't start DNSCrypt before NTP has synced, as far as I'm aware.

Otherwise try running the DNSCrypt installer again and choose to setup from scratch.

The NTP daemon for Asuswrt-Merlin, which @Vexira linked above, isn't going to help, as it also needs to sync NTP, which is exactly what's going wrong.

Last edited:
I did and I set 1.1.1.1 during setup. Thanks I’ll try this again.

Although 1.1.1.1 should work, you can just re-run the installer and choose something else, like 8.8.8.8 for example. It's only for testing purposes to isolate the cause.

try to add the next line in dnsmasq.conf.add file:

server=/pool.ntp.org/8.8.8.8

Congrats, you solved it @rromeroa. A simple and effective fix.

Code:
cd /jffs/configs/ ; touch dnsmasq.conf.add ; nano dnsmasq.conf.add

Write Out the following: server=/pool.ntp.org/8.8.8.8

Finally restart dnsmasq to apply the changes (or reboot the router, your choice)

Code:
service restart_dnsmasq

I would think a bug must exist here in DNSCrypt, where it isn't using the DNS server we configured for initialising dnscrypt-proxy and services like NTP sync during boot. I shouldn't have had this problem in the first place if DNSCrypt was working as expected...

Code:
=>  Please choose DNS server, [1-102]: 12

=>  Please choose next DNS server or press n to stop, [1-102/n]: n
 Info:  Set a DNS server for initializing dnscrypt-proxy
 Info:  and router services (e.g. ntp) at boot
 =>  Default is 8.8.8.8: 8.8.8.8
 =>  Set log level, default is 2, 0 is the most verbose, [0-6]: 2

I'll mention this on the DNSCrypt thread.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Any chance you could walk a noob through this? I am currently trying to resolve: "The system time has not been synchronized with an NTP server" for months now and have not had any luck. I have an Asus RT-AC68U router currently running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.385_20490. Anytime I try to check for an update I get this error: "Temporarily unable to get the latest firmware information. Please try again later."
Please help, I would really appreciate it!

Any chance you could walk a noob through this? I am currently trying to resolve: "The system time has not been synchronized with an NTP server" for months now and have not had any luck. I have an Asus RT-AC68U router currently running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.385_20490. Anytime I try to check for an update I get this error: "Temporarily unable to get the latest firmware information. Please try again later."
Please help, I would really appreciate it!
What DNS servers do you use on the WAN page?