What's new

Scribe error='libssl.so.1.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32'

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Has anyone noticed a drop in nvram usage after the Entware update?

View attachment 48600
it could be placebo,
1679004968004.png

Normally when this happens after an Entware update, one add-on has not come back running, BUT, I forced updated all and have had several reboots. I always stop unbound, then "ep", then update unbound, so no issues there. I was running between 589 and 610 give or take and this was unusually low.

Don't know what to make of it?

Normally when this happens after an Entware update, one add-on has not come back running, BUT, I forced updated all and have had several reboots. I always stop unbound, then "ep", then update unbound, so no issues there. I was running between 589 and 610 give or take and this was unusually low.

Don't know what to make of it?
well the only addon i have is adguard home

well the only addon i have is adguard home
Looking for other indicators that something is wrong, I noticed that the wifi symbol is only half lit.
wifi half lit 03.17.2023.JPG

So…. don’t update entware right now?
That would be my advice right now.
My timing was about right I think. Before these threads had started I had to do a factory reset and rebuild to eliminate my router from fault finding a routing problem with my isp. I received the updated packages as part of that but everything is running just fine (as per my signature) . I think I've just been very very lucky, there's no guarantee a rebuild would be successful.

For me, this is the solution for the scribe AX88u.

opkg --force-depends remove libcurl
opkg install libcurl

And reinstall scribe :)

Worked for me in my AX88U. Thanks

Now, without any intervention on my part, it appears that things are back to normal.

Are we getting pushed updates?

nvram usage and wifi symbol back to normal:

entware back to normal2.jpg

I don't think so... Still having the same error message with scribe.
I was getting ready to do a restore but I'll wait and see.

It must me the Leprechauns on my end.🍀

For me, this is the solution for the scribe AX88u.

opkg install libcurl

And reinstall scribe :)
Thank you, everything seems to be running smoothly.

First I stopped unbound, then I updated Entware (ep). Then I saw the scribe issue ... so I ran both commands,

opkg install libcurl

Then I install scribe again.

And once scribe was running I updated unbound config.

And It looks there are no errors and both scripts are running ok.

Just in case ... I also force the update for Diversion.

Looks like amtm/opkg updated wget-ssl before updating libopenssl and now wget-ssl is updated (and built against OpenSSL 3.0 and no longer working), before opkg could use it to update libopenssl... (I still see libopenssl - 1.1.1s-1 on my router)

Oh wow - moving from 1.1.1 over to 3.0.x is a big step, and usually is going to require everything that links against it to be rebuilt...

OPENSSL 3.0

Main Changes from OpenSSL 1.1.1

Major Release

OpenSSL 3.0 is a major release and consequently any application that currently uses an older version of OpenSSL will at the very least need to be recompiled in order to work with the new version. It is the intention that the large majority of applications will work unchanged with OpenSSL 3.0 if those applications previously worked with OpenSSL 1.1.1. However this is not guaranteed and some changes may be required in some cases.

I noticed that during libopenssl upgrade it deletes the obsolete files below for obvious reasons.

Bash:
/opt/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1
/opt/lib/libssl.so.1.1

If you have upgraded packages and facing this issue, a simple fix is to restore the obsolete files without downgrading the libopenssl package. This worked for me.

To do the same, follow the steps below.

I have tested this on RT-AX88U. I am not sure if the same libopenssl applies to you.
You may want to check opkg configuration to see if it is same.
Bash:
cat /opt/etc/opkg.conf | grep src
src/gz entware https://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10
If not, please look for archive in correct url and then use the corresponding url.

After verifying, run the commands below on RT-AX88U.
Bash:
cd /opt/tmp
wget https://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/archive/libopenssl_1.1.1s-1_aarch64-3.10.ipk
tar zxpvf data.tar.gz ./opt/lib
cp -i ./opt/lib/*.so.1.1 /opt/lib/

This will atleast keep the packages working which do not support the latest openssl update.
I don't know if this would break the system, I hope it won't because it's simply an error about not being able to find the binary.
This also means that you are exposed to any vulnerabilities related to these manually added binaries.

Last edited:
Oh wow - moving from 1.1.1 over to 3.0.x is a big step, and usually is going to require everything that links against it to be rebuilt...

OPENSSL 3.0

Main Changes from OpenSSL 1.1.1

Major Release

OpenSSL 3.0 is a major release and consequently any application that currently uses an older version of OpenSSL will at the very least need to be recompiled in order to work with the new version. It is the intention that the large majority of applications will work unchanged with OpenSSL 3.0 if those applications previously worked with OpenSSL 1.1.1. However this is not guaranteed and some changes may be required in some cases.

I think there was a second update: now showing 3.0.8-2a

a simple fix is to restore the obsolete files without downgrading the libopenssl package
Will go give it a try.
My asterisk doesn't work at all...

SUCCESS
Asterisk is again operational.
Moreover, scribe doesn't compain any more. I presume it got what it wanted:D

Last edited:
Yes, the newest update fixed the problem for me as well, libopenssl - 3.0.8-2a that is.

Update: Nevermind, now I'm getting a pixelserve ssl error:
Code:
pixelserv-tls[26502]: create_child_sslctx: cannot find or use /opt/var/cache/pixelserv/(null)
pixelserv-tls[26502]: create_child_sslctx: cannot find or use /opt/var/cache/pixelserv/0

Last edited:
Yes, the newest update fixed the problem for me as well, libopenssl - 3.0.8-2a that is.

Update: Nevermind, now I'm getting a pixelserve ssl error:
Code:
pixelserv-tls[26502]: create_child_sslctx: cannot find or use /opt/var/cache/pixelserv/(null)
pixelserv-tls[26502]: create_child_sslctx: cannot find or use /opt/var/cache/pixelserv/0
Is @thelonelycoder pushing any updates for this round of Entware updates?
This makes 2 Entware updates in a row that have caused problems for other scripts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!