What's new

Ethernet Cable, Myth or Fact?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LAG only provides real benefit for multiple users accessing the NAS at a single time. So it would be good for a server facing the internet where thousands of users are accessing it. LAG can be used to increase data transfer between two devices that both support the higher rate - such as two 1Gb/s ports on a router LAN switch and two on another LAN switch that both devices support LAG on. All that does is shift the bottleneck elsewhere in the network - perhaps the router LAN to WAN connection or the LAN switch connection to a PC over a single Gb/s port.
I agree. A Lagg gives more bandwidth but no speed increase so if you are not filling 1 port there is no reason to add a second port.

Oh, Ethernet cables only need not exceed maximum length whether they are the same length or not in a switch makes no difference.

Hmm, nobody's seen a (10Mbps) dumb hub in 10(+) years? Found one in the garage last weekend - I would post a picture if it hadn't already gone to the tip!

nobody's seen a (10Mbps) dumb hub in 10(+) years?
Not unless they looked on wikipedia.

I used a couple of them back in the day before switches came down in price. Even have some really cheap dumb gig switches sitting in the other room that were ~$10/ea retail new. They're good in a pinch to add ports or copy M2M files. It's been years though since they've been powered on though. I've progressed to using my 4-port 5GE NIC that I can reconfigure for WAN/LAN on demand and use as a switch. 2 ports to the WAN / 1 LAN and an open port for syncing things + the 2.5 on the MOBO/AP. Everything else is WIFI.

I just wanted to thank everybody for all of your knowledge. You just can't trust anybody completely anymore...

From a newbie to a newbie, don't depend on what people say, do your research, check forums and online to try and get the correct answers.

Thanks again for all your answers to my questions. I really do appreciate it.

You guys just saved me close to $300 on ethernet cable that did not need to be re-ran!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!