What's new

Every Reboot Requires a Hard Factory Reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve2300

Occasional Visitor
This is driving me crazy.

Every time I reboot my AC86U, I have to hard factory reset and setup everything from zero. I don't load any settings, I do everything from scratch.

The power button just keeps flashing and nothing happens for 10 minutes so I have to hard reset the router using this method https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078

Admittedly I've gone months with no need to reboot, but this is bugging me so much.

I tried going back to ASUS stock firmware, I tried Merlin, and everything I do no matter what results in a device being so dumb with every reboot that I have to hard factory reset it.

What should I do? I'm out of warranty otherwise I'd take it back to ASUS.

I don't have USB attached or special tweaks at all, so no idea why this device becomes crippled when rebooted.

Any reply or comment is appreciated.

TIA

Last edited:
Before you do anything else try a new power supply unit.

This is driving me crazy.

Every time I reboot my AC86U, I have to hard factory reset and setup everything from zero. I don't load any settings, I do everything from scratch.

The power button just keeps flashing and nothing happens for 10 minutes so I have to hard reset the router using this method https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078

Admittedly I've gone months with no need to reboot, but this is bugging me so much.

I tried going back to ASUS stock firmware, I tried Merlin, and everything I do no matter what results in a device being so dumb with every reboot that I have to hard factory reset it.

What should I do? I'm out of warranty otherwise I'd take it back to ASUS.

I don't have USB attached or special tweaks at all, so no idea why this device becomes crippled when rebooted.

Any reply or comment is appreciated.

TIA

If a good power supply with nothing else connected to the router and a clean reinstall of stock firmware does not recover normal operation, I would assume another AC86U power circuit is burning out (or some other hardware fault).

OE

I had an AC86U doing the same thing - after reboot it wasn't holding settings and sometimes was boot looping. It was used for parts donor.

Before you do anything else try a new power supply unit.

Regardless if the reboot was from the UI or just turning off/on results in the same behaviour. Heck, even unplugging the device for few hours means I need to hard reset and setup again.

Do you still suspect a power supply unit issue ?

This is the easiest thing to try. I have my doubts it is going to make any difference though. I would replace this router with AX86S or AX86U depending on the budget. If you decide to get a new AC86U because they are cheap now, make sure you have the longest warranty possible on it. It's an excellent router when it works, but plagued by many hardware and recently confirmed software issues.

Was this diagnosed by ASUS ?

It was diagnosed by me. Read more here:

Failing power supplies cause many issues, it is a quick test and could save you the price of a router.

Other than that buy a new router ...... preferably not ASUS.

Does that include ethernet cables ?

Yes, any not required to test the router in a minimal state. Sometimes a bad cable or rogue client can be in play, so remove that possibility.

OE

If one can get the serial console up and running, getting the trace output there would be good...

two things are likely happening...

1) corrupt bootloader or corrupt rootfs - console will definitely show something there
2) stuck on reboot - could be a file stuck open, and this would interrupt the sane reboot.

If you're not running any scripts over in jffs land, or having a USB disk attached... I suspect it is item (1) above...

An update for anyone following:

Tried a different power unit with no luck.

I guess I'll have to live with it at the moment. Once I preform a hard factory reset and do all the settings, it remains rock solid for months till I have to upgrade to a new Merlin firmware.

Glad I'm not the only one with this exact same problem, though I have an RT-AX88U. Just spoke with ASUS tech support, who confirmed it is a hardware ("and maybe a bit of software") issue. If your router is still under warranty, they will replace it.

Edit: I see you are out of warranty. Unfortunately, tech support did not disclose exactly what hardware component is the culprit.

This might be a long shot, but try flashing the same firmware twice in a row, just to ensure you get the same firmware on both partitions.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!