What's new

Exclude site going from VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keef

Hello. I am using NordVPN with OpenVPN and Merlin (AC-3100). Is there a way to exclude a site from going through the VPN? My wife needs to access one particular site and it always some up with an error (connection is not private) if the VPN is active. If I turn it off or route her around the VPN she is fine however that is not a situation I want for her work PC (works from home these days).

thanks guys

Please remove the Release prefix from your title as you are not announcing a new release of something. Thanks.

If this is for your wife's "work PC" then I definitely wouldn't want any of it routed through NordVPN anyway. Not unless her "work" involves researching "dodgy" websites.

Last edited:
Hello. I am using NordVPN with OpenVPN and Merlin (AC-3100). Is there a way to exclude a site from going through the VPN? My wife needs to access one particular site and it always some up with an error (connection is not private) if the VPN is active. If I turn it off or route her around the VPN she is fine however that is not a situation I want for her work PC (works from home these days).

thanks guys
You want to use Policy Based Routing, explained on RMelin GitHub here.

If all you want to do is bind one or more public IPs/networks/domains to the WAN, just add static routes (in the form of route directives) to the OpenVPN client custom config field.

Code:
route 199.199.199.199 255.255.255.255 net_gateway
route 188.188.188.0 255.255.255.0 net_gateway
route somewebsite.com 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

No need for PBR (policy based routing). No need for extra scripts.

In fact, because PBR necessarily removes the router itself from the VPN, it has the potential for unintended consequences (e.g., DNS leaks).

Last edited:
Please remove the Release prefix from your title as you are not announcing a new release of something. Thanks.

If this is for your wife's "work PC" then I definitely wouldn't want any of it routed through NordVPN anyway. Not unless her "work" involves researching "dodgy" websites.

Hi. Why is going through the VPN is what I should do with her PC? I'm confused. I thought she would be safer using it?

Thanks

Last edited:

How do I remove the prefix? My mistake.

I am slow. Did you mean that NordVPN is a dodgy service?

If all you want to do is bind one or more public IPs/networks/domains to the WAN, just add static routes (in the form of route directives) to the OpenVPN client custom config field.

Code:

In fact, because PBR necessarily removes the router itself from the VPN, it has the potential for unintended consequences (e.g., DNS leaks).

Hey, thanks. What is [/code] for?

Probably this

Can be installed from amtm
Thanks. I do not think mine installed correctly. If I select it from the AMTM main menu I always get the install screen. I selected 1 and 2 but nothing and they seemed to install ok. I'll try to look at this later. Hopefully, this will work out. I am going to really need the GUI to install.

Last edited:

Code:

Hi. Thanks for the info. I am, however, struggling with this stuff. If the site to get to is 101.202.303.404 would that go in line 2 the first IP#?

thanks

Hi. Thanks for the info. I am, however, struggling with this stuff. If the site to get to is 101.202.303.404 would that go in line 2 the first IP#?

thanks

Line #1 is for a *single* IP.
Line #2 is for a network (class C in the example).
Line #3 is for a domain name.

So for any single IP, use line #1 as a model.

I am having a similar problem with accessing a certain YouTube channel over VPN. I got it running by adding route youtube.com 255.255.255.255 net_gateway into the OpenVPN custom config and I can access YouTube in the web browser on my mobile devices.

While this is working great, I would love to be able to access YouTube through their native YouTube app on both iOS and tvOS (AppleTV app). Here I guess using the URL does not work; what other method or approach could I use to achieve this?