What's new

Exclude the following drives from spinning down, sda to sdi, which is which?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

qneeuqeo

New Around Here
I have 2 external HDD connecting to RT-AC68U, they spin 24x7 in the past year and start made some strange noise when running. I realised the HDD power management function are not enabled by default till today:( Now I want one of the drive to spin down when idle.

under the "Tools - Other Settings", I'm confused with this:

Exclude the following drives from spinning down sda sdb sdc sdd sde sdf sdg sdh sdi

Can anyone please tell me which option should I tick to spin down one of my HDD?

Thanks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• HDD SPIN DOWN.jpg
    HDD SPIN DOWN.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,121
Last edited:
I think "exclude from spinning down" is pretty self-explanatory: only tick the hard drives that you DON'T want to stop spinning.
If you don't want both to stop spinning, then issue the following command while logged in through telnet/ssh on the router:
blkid
This should give you a list of available disk drives, along with their associated labels and UUIDs.
If you still don't recognise which is which, you can ask details about each one. Example for /dev/sda:
fdisk -l /dev/sda

problem solved, much appreciated:D

attachment.php

sda, sdb indicates each external usb disk.

as the options contains "sda sdb sdc sdd sde sdf sdg sdh sdi "

can I assume that the router supports to connect up to 9 external usb disk in total?

Attachments

• asusdisk.jpg
    asusdisk.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,535
problem solved, much appreciated:D

attachment.php

sda, sdb indicates each external usb disk.

as the options contains "sda sdb sdc sdd sde sdf sdg sdh sdi "

can I assume that the router supports to connect up to 9 external usb disk in total?

Asuswrt supports up to 26 disks actually, but for sake of UI simplicity, I limited it to what I felt was a reasonable limit (and which would fit in one single line).

A: can you use an USB hub connected to one usb port on the router to connect more drives?
B: if you can't or don't use ssh or telnet how do you know which drive is which code (sda/sdb)

A: can you use an USB hub connected to one usb port on the router to connect more drives?
B: if you can't or don't use ssh or telnet how do you know which drive is which code (sda/sdb)

USB 2.0 hubs are supported.

You will have to use ssh/telnet, or browse through syslog looking for any reference to sda,sdb,sdc, etc...