What's new

Expand network to multiple outbuildings - Ubiquiti NanoStations?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WhiteHawk7

New Around Here
Good evening all,

I have multiple buildings on my property and would like to have them all networked. I currently have internet at my home which I share to one of my shops (~350') away over a weak AIMesh configuration between 2x ASUS AC86U routers. I want to build a better bridge between the units and came across the UI NanoStation 5AC Locos - https://store.ui.com/collections/wireless/products/nanostation-loco5ac?_pos=1&_sid=97f721c7c&_ss=r. These seem to be a better option vs changing out one of the external omni-directional antennas on each unit.

From my very limited knowledge it appears you can have 1 unit send to multiple units if they are are close to being in line with one another (see my terrible drawing below). Would this be a feasible setup? I envision having the units connected to wireless routers at each outbuilding. It seems like a relatively cheap way to reliably expand my network to these buildings without having to lay down wire and signal boosters. Thank you for your thoughts!

1642557955493.png

F

I'm looking for it, but I can't find the link to the long range dLink (iirc) unit a friend uses on his property, with similar distance to yours between his home and his workshop and radio hut. Standby and I'll grab it from him when he's awake tomorrow...

Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to look into this.

From my understanding, if I connect one of these to my home router on a LAN port and connect the second to building 1 on the WAN port, it should theoretically be nearly the same as running an ethernet cable between them so long as they have line of sight. I believe with minimal latency added (please correct me if I am wrong).

I am wondering if the scenario on the south side of the house will work, again connecting one of these stations to the home router via a LAN port and then having 2 routers within line of sight on buildings further away.

Is it OK to run 2 bridges off of one router? (One ptp, the other ptmp?)

Would I be better served with a different device on top of my house that broadcasted in multiple directions but still use 3 of these nanostation locos on the receiving buildings?

Thank you for any thoughts!

If you want to do it once then use fiber.
Undoubtedly wise and I would be happiest down the road following this... For the time being, my goal was to not dig a trench or lay conduit etc. I've got my PTP bridge up and running between 2 of the 5AC locos, I'll work on the PtMP a bit later.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!