What's new

Expected 2.4Ghz speeds with RT-AX88U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gil80

Regular Contributor
Hi.
What should be the expected maximum speed I can possibly get if no obstacles, direct line of sight, 5 meters away from the router for 2.4Ghz band using 20Mhz or 40Mhz channel bandwidth?

I'm thinking I'm getting low speeds when I transfer files from my laptop to the HDD connected to the router on the USB 3 port.
But regardless of the HDD, what should be the speeds for 20 and 40 Mhz?

2.4ghz is way too popular as wifi and for many, many other things, it's very difficult to get any kind of good speeds there due to interference. Direct LoS and no obstacles matter little if you got tons of other stuff screaming into the ether at the same wavelength, especially at 2.4 which penetrates obstacles easily. Channel width would help very little, again due to interference, even more so with a wider channel.
Bottomline: it's next to impossible to predict the sustainable 2.4ghz speed in your case, it's all very much individual due to degree of congestion at your location.

Last edited:
USB 3.0 will interfere with 2.4Ghz signal. You might as well switch to the USB 2.0 port instead.

The CPU of the RT-AX88U is not fast enough to utilize the additional USB 3.0 transfer speed on SMB.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!