What's new

Expected differences in Speedtest results?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which ISP and Poi?
I'm with superloop 1000 50 and regularly see 940 - 47.
Are you testing in the morning or evening.

Which ISP and Poi?
I'm with superloop 1000 50 and regularly see 940 - 47.
Are you testing in the morning or evening.
Superloop / 3BEN
Mix of morning and evening..

This is Samknows / ACCC monitoring dashboard over 6 months with average time of day reading..
I've not seen other tests, besides Speedtest CLI on my linux workstation, reflect these numbers.

Screenshot from 2023-08-15 15-06-49.png

That said, over past 30 days...

Screenshot from 2023-08-15 15-12-14.png

Am thinking perhaps it's a mix of:
  • Underpowered browsers not being able to match test appliance / CLI performance
  • Underpowered router CPU when performing tests on router itself
  • Single vs. multithreaded downloads
  • ACCC/Samknows monitoring does a lot of its testing through CDN to which Superloop peers giving it a slight bump
  • Content whose CDNs aren't directly peered slows even more notably during peak perhaps?
That said, it does seem Superloop's perhaps increasing minimum speeds during peak, but peak is widening over time.

You are testing the speed between your home and a server someplace on the internet. Your ISP may be providing the contracted bandwidth yet someplace upstream of your ISP may be congested and beyond there control. When you get a speed test that is what you are paying for that's great. When you don't, there are too many possible reasons to have meaning. I hope you enjoy your nice fast 600 Mb or faster link.

Oh, for sure.. I understand that accessing something on the internet is only as fast as the slowest link in the chain, that a lot of larger sites engage global CDNs to accelerate site delivery, and that I shouldn't expect line speed to everything. It's just when I see differences of a half order of magnitude at times in tests, I wonder what my average experience really is.

The explanation that doing something on the router itself (RT-AC5300) is likely limited to ~300Mbps goes some way to explaining some past results.

I would suggest that the graph is pretty normal. My Internet speeds take a hit after approximately 18:00. My simple guess is that it is when folk get home from work and start streaming/watching stuff. Providing the speed/bandwidth is good enough for what I need, I don't worry.

Oh, for sure.. I understand that accessing something on the internet is only as fast as the slowest link in the chain, that a lot of larger sites engage global CDNs to accelerate site delivery, and that I shouldn't expect line speed to everything. It's just when I see differences of a half order of magnitude at times in tests, I wonder what my average experience really is.

The explanation that doing something on the router itself (RT-AC5300) is likely limited to ~300Mbps goes some way to explaining some past results.
What is your Guaranteed Internet Speed? 1000/50 is not your Guaranteed Internet Speed. I'm pretty sure Samknows Box still experimental and unstable. And your ISP is the real ISP. You know about it right? Superloop(Main ISP) > 3BEN(Retail Service Provider) > You.
That's why it happens maybe? BTW you know they collect almost all of your Data right?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!