What's new

Expensive N router, or cheap one to wait for AC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BadOmen

New Around Here
Hello and thanks for creating this space to help us, clueless buyers who haven't changed routers in 10 years. Here's my situation.

What do I need?
- Good streams from the web. I don't expect HD, but the best I can get from my overseas Slingbox.
- Good file transfer speeds, but not that my life depends on that.
- If possible, in the future I'd like to stream stuff from a NAS to my TV.

What do I have on wireless, and under which adapter?
- Older laptop plugged to TV: Intel Wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g)
- Work laptop: Realtek 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN
- TV: Standard IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n - Frequency Band 2412-2484 MHz, 5150-5850 MHz
- Aios Media player: Pivos 802.11n USB Adapter, 300mbps/ 2.4ghz

Current situation:
I have a WRT54G in the basement, all devices on 1st floor. Awesome range, but video streams have been troublesome.

Options I am considering:
- A top dog AC router? But better AC models may be on their way after the standard is approved
- A top dog N router? But is it worthwhile to invest high on N now, since AC is coming?
- A cheaper N router and wait for AC's approval? But won't that take too long?
- A cheaper N router and a N access point for the 1st floor, wiring all devices to it?
- A cheaper N router and my WRT54G as an access point for the 1st floor, wiring all devices to it?

Notes:
- I can't wire the whole house
- I can't link router and AP via wire.

"Top dog router" I had in mind: Asus N66U
"Cheaper N router" I had in mind: Buffalo N600
But I'm totally willing to try other models as well.

One router that solves all my problems would be better than messing around with an additional access point, but I`m willing to go for it should it generate better results.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
wait for 11ac? Nah, there's always a newer/better on the horizon, and I for one don't like to be an early adopter when it's my money.

So a $60 or so router is best, IMO. Just connect it to a gigE switch to feed all your wired computers. Put in cheap APs (or an older router re-purposed as an AP) if you need more coverage. Connect an added AP to the main router, or a nearer switch, via cat5, HomePlug or MoCA.

Moving to a higher "class" router than your devices provides no benefit. Since you have no 11ac devices, you get no benefit from spending the extra money.

Since you have no N450 devices, an N300 or N600 (if you want dual band) will do fine. There are plenty to choose from and even N600s are well under $100. Check the Router Ranker http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/N600?rank=6

Unfortunately wiring is not an option (it's a rental and I'm not supposed to bore holes in walls), and I guess homeplug would be a bumpy ride (electric wiring in this house was apparently installed by the Flintstones, and never touched since).

I've been considering N600 routers, but here's my question:

Would an N600 router be better than actually paying some more, getting a N450 plus adapter(s) or a 5ghz AP and kinda "upgrading" my devices' wireless?

Or is it just too much money and hassle for a crappy improvement?

By the way, such AP would have to work in some bridge mode, to connect wirelessly to the router.

I would minimize the investment and try an inexpensive N600 router and see how it goes. Since you're living with a G54 router now, moving to an N600 will let your N adapters operate at their higher link rates, which should smooth your streaming.

Awesome. Last question and I'll leave you alone:

Since the TV laptop works on a/b/g, should I get it an N adapter, or would I be able to see improvements already by using 5ghz, since it holds 802.11a?

Thanks a lot!

Get an N adapter. 802.11a's maximum link rate is the same as 802.11g, i.e. 54 Mbps.

Excellent. I'm perusing the site right now after the best cost/benefit N600.
Thanks thiggins and stevech for your help!