What's new

Please advise which router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I shared my opinion with you already. You removed tri-band 3-pack popular Linksys system and now looking for cheap single router replacement for it. I wouldn't buy any of the above AC routers because they are >5 years old and on life support. AC86U is perhaps the most unreliable Asus router made in recent years. If you like gambling - get one and fingers crossed. It's a good router when it works. TP-Link Archer C2300 is the same hardware as AC86U and TP-Link dropped it long time ago. No idea what TP-Link AX76 is - no such model on TP-Link website. I have nothing more to say in this thread. Good luck.

While I'm puzzled at the determination to stay on older, generally nearing end of life, tech I won't dig further on that given the discussion so far.

Can I ask what it is that makes a cable an "impossible" option?

While I'm puzzled at the determination to stay on older, generally nearing end of life, tech I won't dig further on that given the discussion so far.

Can I ask what it is that makes a cable an "impossible" option?
eightiesscalling, thank you for the response.
The location of the router and the rooms layout means I would have to run the cable in positions where it would end up damaged.
The reason I wish to rely on older and cheaper tech is because I don’t have ax clients, only AC/N clients.
Tech 9 mentioned that the ASUS AC86U is unreliable - so that’s off my shopping list.
It looks like the Tp Link VR2800 is back in the running.
( Is there a reliable Asus AC router ? )

Last edited:
From what you've said so far, I'd still be looking to find a way to make the cabling work - longer runs, trunking for protection, cutting a channel in the screed etc.

I get not buying a router where you don't need it's capabilities - I'm still running an AC88U as I don't need AX speeds and it more than copes with UK broadband speeds. The router you're suggesting though looks to be significantly lower powered than that (CPU isn't everything but you're on maybe 40% as comparison) and even the TP Link website suggests 100 Meg limits compared to your 150.

I can't help but think the constraints you've given combined with focus on WiFi will set you up for disappointment.

From what you've said so far, I'd still be looking to find a way to make the cabling work - longer runs, trunking for protection, cutting a channel in the screed etc.

I get not buying a router where you don't need it's capabilities - I'm still running an AC88U as I don't need AX speeds and it more than copes with UK broadband speeds. The router you're suggesting though looks to be significantly lower powered than that (CPU isn't everything but you're on maybe 40% as comparison) and even the TP Link website suggests 100 Meg limits compared to your 150.

I can't help but think the constraints you've given combined with focus on WiFi will set you up for disappointment.
Your right, I’ll try to attach a long Ethernet cable from the router to the digital tv box.
Is there a reliable Asus AC router only, that takes Merlin firmware, runs cool
and that I could use to attach to the modem? 1) eg. RT-AC66U / 68U ( the throughput is more than enough for HD and I can flash with Merlin or Tomato firmware ).
If they are suitable, how do I recognise the versions that take Merlin firmware ( pic attached )? ( the back of the router states the model number and not the version or B number eg. B1 ).
2) As an alternative, the RT-N66U ( wireless N) - still good for HD streaming.
AD9371C2-D0F7-4C34-9879-5EF1A620B339.jpeg

Last edited:
Your right, I’ll try to attach a long Ethernet cable from the router to the digital tv box.

I suspect wiring the 'digital box' to the network (or improving its wireless connection by tuning wireless settings/device location) may solve the stuttering issue you have. I would have tried a temp cable days ago to find out.

Another approach is to use a spare router in Media Bridge Mode to bridge wired clients only to the router WiFi... the wireless bridge between the two routers is stronger, and the 'digital box' connection becomes wired.

The biggest issue here is that you have not tried to determine the issue. You just want to buy something and try it... which is typical. Days have past and you still have not assessed the details of the 'digital box' wireless connection to your network. So we are just guessing.

OE

You had a good router. Why do you want to buy electronic waste in its place?
Good question. The Linksys GUI was complicated and I don’t have AX clients.
Have read on the forums that the RT-AC68U /66U isn’t supported anymore by Merlin - so security risks come to mind.
The TP Link AX20 is now looking more attractive.

RT-AC68U /66U isn’t supported
Is supported. However, these are outdated devices, it is not worth buying them today, and their value is no more than about 30 USD.
If you want a good router supported by Asuswrt-Merlin buy RT-AX86S. It was on sale for less than 140 USD.

Any cheapest Asus AX router is enough for your needs, e.g. RT-AX53U, RT-AX55, RT-AX1800U etc. They should be available for around 70-80 USD.
Also, any cheapest TP-Link AX router for your needs will be good, but usually Asus will provide longer firmware updates.

Is supported. However, these are outdated devices, it is not worth buying them today, and their value is no more than about 30 USD.
If you want a good router supported by Asuswrt-Merlin buy RT-AX86S. It was on sale for less than 140 USD.

Any cheapest Asus AX router is enough for your needs, e.g. RT-AX53U, RT-AX55, RT-AX1800U etc. They should be available for around 70-80 USD.
Also, any cheapest TP-Link AX router for your needs will be good, but usually Asus will provide longer firmware updates.
Dear Piotrek,
Thank you for your response.
Is the TP-Link Archer C7 with open-wrt firmware also a good choice ? ( in regards to open-wrt providing updated patches that TP Link doesn’t do anymore ).

Is the TP-Link Archer C7 with open-wrt firmware also a good choice ?

Can't watch this anymore... :eek:

Archer C7 is a 10-years old router model with single core MIPS CPU and only 128MB RAM. It was a good choice in 2013. Now is year 2023.

even if you have only N and AC clients, most here believe/have experience that with an AX based AP or wireless router, the system and clients perform better. The whole system performs better. If you cannot budget for an AX router, then of course get an AC router. Everyone has pointed out the issues with that choice, but it is what it is. So be it.

Enough of this. Get what you can and run with it.

even if you have only N and AC clients, most here believe/have experience that with an AX based AP or wireless router, the system and clients perform better

Not because of AX support, but because of better radios, especially if your previous AC router was RT-AC66U or RT-AC68U with 10-years old BCM4360 radios. If your old router was RT-AC86U though with BCM4366E AC Wave 2 radio the difference may be in the opposite direction. This router has better Wi-Fi than some AX routers to all clients... when it works. R7800 with QCA9984 AC Wave 2 is also better than some AX routers.

Generally AC models are End of Life, or at least it should be considered so.
Archer C80 (52 USD) may have better WiFi than AX10 (57 USD), and it's cheaper in my country.

Dear Piotrek, has the unreliability problem with the AX86U been rectified in the RT-AX86U ‘Pro’? And is the RT-AX82U a good alternative?.

Anyone that recommends a TP-Link is no friend.

unreliability problem with the AX86U
I don't know anything about this problem.
is the RT-AX82U a good alternative
No.
recommended the Tp Link Archer C8 or C9
Archer C8 and Archer C9 are EoL.
Of course, by using e-waste you care about the environment, but...
I already wrote you that if you want an AC router, you can buy TP-Link Archcer C80.
Archer C80 (52 USD) may have better WiFi than AX10 (57 USD)

Anyone that recommends a TP-Link is no friend.
Of course. Anyone that recommends a Asus GT-AX6000 too ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!