What's new

Please advise which router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you don't want a modern device, or even an old but still supported by the manufacturer, you could get more e-waste TP-Link with dd-wrt support.
WR841ND
WR840N
WR810N(EU)
WR800N
WR743ND
WR741ND
WR740N
WR710N(US)
WR710N(EU)
WR703N
WDR4900
WDR4320
WDR4310
WDR4300
WDR3600
WDR3500
WA901ND
WA860RE
WA850RE
WA830RE
WA801ND
WA7510N
WA730RE
WA7210N
WA701ND
MR3420
MR3220
MR3020
Archer C9 (AC1900)
Archer C8 (AC1750)
Archer C7 (AC1750)
Archer C5 (AC1200)
Archer C3200
Archer C3150
Archer C2600
Archer C25 (AC900)
Archer C1900
Archer A7 (AC1750)

The ISP has provided a separate modem and wireless router Linksys Velop Tri-band AC2200

Fix what you have - for your needs, you won't find much better considering your budget...

Smallnetbuilder did a review on similar some time back, and performance looked ok for the class/type of device it is...

Make sure your firmware is up to date, and you'll be fine.

With Linksys Smart WiFi - a couple of tips...

1) in WiFi Settings for the 2.4GHz radio - look for the mode, and set it to B/G/N-mixed mode with 20MHz channels - their defaults for the 2.4GHz band leave a lot to be desired...

2) Go over to QoS settings, and set your bandwidth for up and downstream - their QoS doesn't have a lot of levers and knobs, but it does work well enough when set up properly.

You'll be hard pressed to find a WebUI that is perfect, but Linksys puts the essentials in the right places - takes all of 5 mins to fully set it up even when reading the friendly manual.

Fix what you have

They "fixed it" already. On eBay.

Now looking for better replacement. In the recycle bin.

This thread may continue forever. We better start from Linksys WRT54G and Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. They were excellent in 2002.

WOW... and according to the first post - it was the ISP that provided the gear in the first place...

OP might have to go back to eBay or dig into their pockets to reimburse the ISP for the "missing equipment" - it ain't free when you don't pay for it ;)

Now looking for better replacement. In the recycle bin.

This thread may continue forever. We better start from Linksys WRT54G and Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. They were excellent in 2002.
I knew there was a reason I hadn't thrown that old WRT54G out.

There was me thinking I was just a hoarder that never got around to clearing the attic!

Considering most of my devices are Wireless N and that my max internet package is 150Mbps Ethernet ( half that for wireless ), I am seriously considering the ASUS N56U for streaming HD on the 5Ghz channel.
Any thoughts ?.

Last edited:
There’s no point getting a Wi-Fi 6 router, if I’m only getting 150Mbps down the pipeline ?.
There is a point if you need LAN speeds to move data around.

There are other advantages to newer HW though as well. One of them being FW updates to keep it secure. The other is being able to grow into it as you upgrade your devices to take advantage of the newer tech to move packets. For ~$30/ea for an AX210 you can get top speeds over wifi. If you have more recent ADL/RPL devices you can get an AX411 card for under $20/ea and hit up to 1.5gbps.

There’s no point getting a Wi-Fi 6 router, if I’m only getting 150Mbps down the pipeline ?.
From an ISP bandwidth perspective, no - neither AC or AX will get you much.

From a supported perspective though it's another matter. That said, given your post mentioning you only have mainly N devices I get the impression old age and lack of support (including security fixes) doesn't matter to you and I wonder what devices you're referring to - even the {nearly 10 year) iphone 6 supported AC.

You should look at the Cisco 150ax wireless APs as they work well have great firmware support from Cisco for the life of the product, an easy GUI and they only cost $102.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!