What's new

Experiences with merlinwrt and RT-AC68U and nvram getting low possible solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arpydude

Occasional Visitor
setup:
RT-AC68U acquired used genuine with a 384 stock on it. upgraded to a stock RT_AC68U_300438649703 then upgraded to merlinwrt 368.7_2

My setup had 3 openvpns at once with yazfi. added "auth-nocache" to vpn client custom configurations in each vpnclient. nvram came down and stabilized. I know the parameter was supposed to be there to begin with but this is my first time playing with merlinwrt cause I picked up a used router 3 days ago. can anyone having nvram issues confirm if this works for them. From the reading i did about running scripts to clear client lists and variables failed to work for me. did a soft reset and it was still climbing. read you need to do a hard reset but I only did a soft reset and issue still existed. just posting for feed back. I have to say I'm hooked and looking for something on the HND platform.

Last edited:
What is a 'soft reset'? Specifically?

Moving from 384 to 386 to RMerlin code bases means you need to do a full reset to factory defaults before you can see anything work as expected.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

As you've already indicated, a new router (such as the RT-AX68U or better) is needed to take full advantage of the latest firmware code base (level 388.xx or later).

I have to say I'm hooked and looking for something on the HND platform.
Setting up a new router is fairly straightforward. If that's how you intend to proceed, I'd encourage you to do that sooner than trying to rectify any issues on a used router that may be flawed from the start.

What is a 'soft reset'? Specifically?

Moving from 384 to 386 to RMerlin code bases means you need to do a full reset to factory defaults before you can see anything work as expected.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

As you've already indicated, a new router (such as the RT-AX68U or better) is needed to take full advantage of the latest firmware code base (level 388.xx or later).
Sorry I'm a newbie here coming from an openwrt-ddwrt legacy world.
my understanding is a soft reset is factory default from web ui. factory reset done with physical buttons is/or was a hard reset.

I'm saying that I was experiencing a problem with nvram increasing to a point where it was in the 61000-63000 range. adding "auth-nocache" to the imported .ovpn file appears to have corrected the issue of nvram increasing. I wanted to see if someone who was having this issue can verify if they were doing the same thing by leaving it out and if that corrected the issue or it was something else. sorry for the confusion and thanks for responding.

Setting up a new router is fairly straightforward. If that's how you intend to proceed, I'd encourage you to do that sooner than trying to rectify any issues on a used router that may be flawed from the start.
it was reset when I bought it. it was new and never used. But definitely worth note'n. thank you

I'm saying that I was experiencing a problem with nvram increasing to a point where it was in the 61000-63000 range.
This is not a problem. When you initially configure and use the router the nvram usage will stabilise at a certain level. 61000-63000 is about right for that model. Remember, the nvram only holds configuration settings, most of which don't change after being set.

adding "auth-nocache" to the imported .ovpn file appears to have corrected the issue of nvram increasing.
This has no bearing on nvram usage.