What's new

ExpressVPN AC88U v AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CntrlAltDel

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

I've gotten ExpressVPN which seems to support firmware for up to RT-AC87U. I know it does not support the RT-AC88U which I have. Would it be worth getting a RT-AC87U for the performance difference over OpenVPN on the AC88U vs firmware provided by ExpressVPN on the AC87U?

And will the AX87U suffice vs AC87U since the ExpressVPN page only shows AC87U I'm not sure if it's interchangeable.

Last edited:
I know it does not support the RT-AC88U which I have. Would it be worth getting a RT-AC87U

No, this router is End-of-Life and unsupported. The last firmware for it was released >2 years ago.

You don't need special firmware to use your ExpressVPN account. You can use VPN Client on any popular Asus router, including your RT-AC88U. Don't expect great VPN speeds though. Your router can do about 40-60Mbps on OpenVPN, newer ARMv8 CPU equipped models about 170-200Mbps.

No, this router is End-of-Life and unsupported. The last firmware for it was released >2 years ago.

You don't need special firmware to use your ExpressVPN account. You can use VPN Client on any popular Asus router, including your RT-AC88U. Don't expect great VPN speeds though. Your router can do about 40-60Mbps on OpenVPN, newer ARMv8 CPU equipped models about 170-200Mbps.

This is the information I was looking for thanks. Digging further though which router would you then recommend with ARMv8 CPUs or any other router that performs even better with VPN? Essentially changing the above question to "Which router is best for VPN preferably staying in the Asus range"

Before you spend money on hardware for commercial VPN services read this discussion:

I know what commercial VPN providers promise, but the reality is a bit different than expectations.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!